what causes batteries to leak acid?

I'm curious... what causes batteries to leak acid? I understand that it, initially, is supposed to be a liquid, but then dries into a powdery white substance. I don't tihnk the white substance is all that dangerous, but is it dangerous to people as a liquid? Like if a toy that had batteries in it was leaking, would it be all that dangerous for that toys owner to get it on their hands as it was leaking?

Reply to
yawnmoth

The battery leaks when the seal is compromised. What leaks is caustic and poisonous.

Reply to
Meat Plow