Repair compressor leak (Frigidaire dehumidifier)

Hi! I have a Frigidaire dehumidifier (FAD704DWD, manufactured in 2013). A small amount of an oily substance (yellow/light brown in color) is leaking from underneath the unit. I haven't looked inside yet, but assume this is oil/refrigerant leaking from the compressor. In total, we have seen a teaspoon or a little more leak to the floor (perhaps more is pooling inside the compressor compartment). If you have slowed or repaired a similar leak, I would love to hear how. My understanding is that refilling/recharging would not be an option, but since the unit is still dehumidifying effectively, I would like to keep it going & out of landfill for as long as possible IF there is a safe way to do so. Thank you!

Reply to
Laatu

The fact that it lasted 6 years is absolutely amazing. I've never seen a $300 dehumidifier last over 3 years. It can likely be repaired but you'd have more in it than a new one would cost.

Put a Kotex on it and run it till it pukes.

Reply to
devnull

Bubble gum? I'd start looking for a new one. From all the reports here and personal experience, today these mostly last just a few years. And with a refrigerant leak, for all practical purposes, it's toast. How would you fix it? You'd have to find the leak first. Then, if it's say the evaporator, the cost of that, it's toast. If it's a leaking line, you could braze it. You'd have to braze on connectors and evacuate it, then recharge it, requiring gear you don't have. And then, something caused the original leak, ie some kind of corrosion process or similar. So, if you fix it in one spot, how much longer until it leaks somewhere else?

Reply to
trader_4