home A/C and R-22 - cost per lb

Just wondering what the A/C service companies are charging for R-22 these days. I called for service on our home A/C unit, and the basic showup charge is $85, but forgot to ask the R-22 per lb charge... Will call around tomorrow.

Reply to
ps56k

$30 - 50 per pound, depnding how hot it is, and customer's attitude.

.

"ps56k" wrote in message news:jtiab4$ngu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me... Just wondering what the A/C service companies are charging for R-22 these days. I called for service on our home A/C unit, and the basic showup charge is $85, but forgot to ask the R-22 per lb charge... Will call around tomorrow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They're replacing the evaporator in one of our units (4T) tomorrow. I doubt he'll be wearing a coat (in Georgia, in the attic under a black shingled roof).

Reply to
krw

My wholesale cost doubled this year for R22 and it's still going up but there is still a good supply. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OK - It is doubling, but how about some actual $$$ ?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Last I heard it was around $400.00 for a 30lb cylinder. It may be more now. I'm going to need another cylinder to refill the 7ton unit for my friend's church. It was one of 3 damaged by metal thieves. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

is the most retarded place to put a home's hvac unit.

Reply to
HomeGuy

Well excuse my vague answer but I just paid about $333 for freon put into one of my rental homes. I do not know right now how much was put in. We have had ads on the radio telling us locally that the price to put freon in your home a/c doubled or tripled this year and they aren't kidding.

Reply to
Doug

"THE EVAPORATOR" Retard. Air handlers are often installed in attics to facilitate registers in the ceiling. GEEZ! O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ouch! I just looked -- $375 here.

.

Last I heard it was around $400.00 for a 30lb cylinder. It may be more now. I'm going to need another cylinder to refill the 7ton unit for my friend's church. It was one of 3 damaged by metal thieves. o_O

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Remember R12 and what government meddling did to it? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, I did. When I got my first car, I considered one of those freon tank conversions, to fill car tires. I had a couple, well, think I still do. Some where..... one's on a R-502 tank. I considered buying a full tank, so I could inflate tires with R-12, instead of having to keep refilling it with compressed air.

I'm not sure what others charge for R-22, retail wise. I guess I'll have to wing and guess.

I got to the parts house, about six or seven years ago. They were on the last few minutes of a blow out sale, on R-22, for $38 a thirty pounder. I bought two. I just didn't have any more space in my car to cram in another dozen or so.

.

Remember R12 and what government meddling did to it? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember when some of the larger service outfits bought pallet loads of R22 and stashed it in their warehouses. As an investment it has outperformed everything. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Sure outperformed bank accounts, at 0.99% APR.

That day of the sale on R-22, wish I'd bought a dozen or so. Throw out the box spring matress, put plywood over the freon tanks, and matress on that. Whole new look at keeping your valuables under the bed?

.

I remember when some of the larger service outfits bought pallet loads of R22 and stashed it in their warehouses. As an investment it has outperformed everything. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

$350 for 30 lbs.

G. Morgan

Yup. Short, direct runs to the rooms. It would have been smarter to put the returns down low, though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That's bulk price. I'm curious how much HVAC techs charge a home owner, when the HVAC tech puts in, say, two pounds of R-22 to a central AC system.

Thirty bucks a pound? Forty? Twenty?

.

$350 for 30 lbs.

Stormin Mormon

I'll bet there is a wide range of prices. And then you have to factor in how much and what else they are or are not charging for. Meaning one guy could charge more for the service call and less per pound for R22 and cost the same or more than another guy who charges less for the service call and more for the R22.

Reply to
trader4

With so many homes built on a slab, where oh where could the furnace air handler and duct work be installed? Hummm, let me see...... O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Many service companies were charging $30/lb for R22 twenty years ago. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas