Hollowing out a book

Anybody ever carve up a book to conceal something within?

I considered:

  1. Clamping the pages down between thin boards and attacking the result with a jig saw.

  1. Again clamping the pages and going after the clump with a Harbor Freight Miracle Multifunction Tool

I've got lots of books to experiment with, but experience trumps experimentation, hence the question.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
HeyBub

I did one once with an exacto knife, several pages at a time. It was slow but the edges were clean so it would close normally.

Paint the inside cut area liberally with elmers glue, diluted with water, put a couple sheets of wax paper under the cover so it will open and clamp it up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Lifehacker has several articles,

G. Morgan

If someone pulls the book off the shelf to inspect it they'll know right away it's not a regular book, so don't go kidding yourself. The edges of the pages are only important if you plan to keep the book laying around instead of on a book shelf, so rip out the guts, keep the binding, and use some ripped down 1xwhatever or even laminated cardboard to make a frame to fit inside the fake book.

Better yet, make a good hiding place. Creating hidey holes is one of my specialties. I always build them into projects. Customers love 'em and I do it as a freebie since they're fun to make. There was a book I took out from the library a long time ago, "How to Hide Anything" - forget the author. Good stuff.

RicodJour

G. Morgan

X-Acto knife is how I've done it.

Expecting Dr. House for a visit?

I interviewed with a company last fall that made security devices (dye bombs, and such). One of their products was a tracker that was inserted into a hollowed out pack of bills. When the pack found that it was no longer in the bank, it triggered a GPS tracker and cell phone. It would then call home and they could track the money on a web site (the web site was given to the authorities). Neat stuff. There were *piles* of cut money all over the place, in every denomination. The tracker was exactly the same size as the bill from the edge of the SN to the other SN. There was several million in stacks of hollowed out bills laying around the place. The centers were "recycled". ;-)

Reply to
krw

The glue advice is a key part. I did one by brute force with a razor blade but it was a chore and I had to glue it when finished.

Reply to
Frank

Mostly found in $5 bills. So if you rob a bank, politely say "no fives" :-)

I know how they activate, but for the sake of security I'll pass on that.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I always thought it was a wood chisel.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Try our new line of Ferragamo Farrady cage bags - guaranteed to leave people gaping!

RicodJour

Eh, okay now... You're going to give it away!

Reply to
G. Morgan

No, these were mostly 20s, 50s, and 100s.

I was being interviewed for the hardware design job. So do I. ;-)

Reply to
krw

X-Acto knives are disposable.

Reply to
krw

I actually got a headache working too close to one. They wouldn't let me shut it off.

Reply to
G. Morgan

From experience, I can tell you that thieves don't read, hence they've no reason to even be in the same room as a book. Most, moreover, don't know how to read.

But for those that do, I'm not going to build my secret place in a salacious novel - like "Lady Chatterly's Lover - that might incentivize them.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a way better and perfect soultion but I'm not telling.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Professional crooks/thieves know all this stuff, it's a running battle to keep one step ahead of them. That's why it's only the stupid, ignorant, uninformed criminals who get caught. Or because someone they are associated with drops the ball. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'd been thinking for last few years, that the government should not be telling doctors what to prescribe, or what not to prescribe. But, you worded it a bit better than I was able to.

Someone told me years ago, you can only sue the govenment, with the government's permission.

.

I wish someone could/would file a class action "something" against The DEA for practicing medicine without a license, which is what those bureaucrats and armed cowboys are doing. O_o

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are not too many professionals out there, most criminals are dumb as rocks.

Reply to
G. Morgan

They have to be if crime is the only way they know to obtain money. Prisons are full of folks who didn't make very intelligent choices in their quest for wealth. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas