Woodworking book

Reply to
nospambob

Hello again,

I'm looking for a comprehensive woodworking book. I'm looking for something very complete, enjoyable to read and educational, that would guide me through the basics (how to properly use chisels for example, or how to make a tenon-and-mortise joint) and also through more advanced topics and would give plans for basic projects. Preferably, i'd like something that covers both manual AND power tools techniques.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Reply to
Zed Rafi

"Tage Frid teaches woodworking" fits the bill. Very comprehensive and extremely well done. A classic, really.

educational,

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Tage Frid's first book (two volumes in one).

Then Flexner is good on finishing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I like the approach in "The Fundamentals of Fine Woodworking" by Robert Ferencsik and Will Neptune.

-jbb

Reply to
John bobbitt

This book looks very good. Does it have a section explaining how to sharpen handtools (chisels, block/smoothing plane blades, etc....) ?

"Mike in Mystic" a écrit dans le message de news:hWRfd.24140$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...

-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-5674693-5426533?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Reply to
Zed Rafi

Just rec'd the Frid 2 volumes in one by looking at $$$ in

of used plus postage = $ 22.xx

I'm probably going to keep it in the shop (eventually) as a reference so there was no point in getting a brand spanking new copy.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

That would be your other book, Leonard Lee's opus on sharpening. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

$17.39 + $1.40 shipping at Overstock.com...

educational,

Reply to
Curtis

I have to agree, Leonard Lee's book is outstanding. Woodworking without sharp tools is no fun. This book explains the "candle" on the edge of a tool, something important that I was not aware.

Reply to
Phisherman

Candle? Please explain in 50 words or less... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:21:06 -0400, "Zed Rafi" calmly ranted:

There is no single book which covers all that you want. Check Greg Millen's book review page for some of our Wreck favorites.

Does it have a section explaining how to sharpen handtools (chisels,

For sharpening, get Leonard Lee's book, "The Complete Guide to Sharpening", or do a Google search on this newsgroup for "Scary Sharp".

Reply to
Larry Jaques

prolly using a bright point source light to inspect the edge. it's amazing what you can see that way.

Reply to
bridger

Don't know anything about the book, but when I bought from Overstock.com they shipped the wrong book and then refused to do anything about it. BEWARE

Reply to
toller

Larry,

your constant mentioning of my page has finally forced an update of the content. I have quoted Phisherman, so if there is any problem let me know and I'll remove it immediately.

Reply to
Greg Millen

No, wait - let me rephrase that.

"If Phisherman has any problem with me quoting him, let me know and I'll remove it immediately."

I guess I am having one of *those* days, sigh.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Reply to
Phisherman

Publishing" I acquired this book when I took a college-level intro to cabinetmaking class during the late 1970's. The version I have is dated to that era but most of the information will never change. I believe an '80s update exists and new/used books are available from Amazon.com. Even though it is nearly 40 years old, apparently it is still being used because Amazon offers teaching guides dated 1999.

In spite of being dated, this is the book I dig out most often when trying to figue out casing design, tools, technique, etc. At 900+ pages it covers everything from wood properties, power tools, furniture design, production techniques, etc. Well illustrated with photos, process sketches and design-type (drafted) drawings.

Good book, a little heavy.

Reply to
RonB

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:08:06 +1000, "Greg Millen" calmly ranted:

It's fine, thank you. Carry on, Jeeves.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This book was our high school woodworking class text book. Excellant read.

Reply to
Russ Milbeck