How to construct this drawer front

I'm building kitchen cabinets for the first time - and hopefully last. There going to be a lot of drawers. The top row of drawers will be just a solid front, but the larger drawers below will look like the picture below.

'm not sure how to construct these. Are they just frame and panel like doors?

thanks,

~ Wyatt

Reply to
Wyatt Wright

They look like pegged bridle joints, with a captured field, to me.

Nice, too.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Yes.

When Greene and Greene did them (for that's clearly who was the inspiration) they'd be through mortice and tenons. A pain to cut when they're that small. I did them for these

I wouldn't want to cut enough for a kitchen. For drawers, I'd do them butted with the smallest possible biscuits. Otherwise dowels.

My pegs are extremely hard square timber, either African Blackwood or English bog oak. I cut them several inches at a time on the bandsaw, then point the starting end with an old pencil sharpener (the sort with a pair of rotating helical cutters - blackwood is too brittle for a rotating knife). They're chamfered on the tops, then hammered into place. The tightness should be just enough to not have the hammering blunt the chamfer.

Size details are crucial, so you really must prototype. The rounding radius, peg size and position, and the step in thickness between horizontals and verticals all makes a difference to how they look.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yep..frame and panel(small version)... Note where they are attached the sides... I would build a drawer box and build the front as a seperate screw/nailed/glued on piece.

Wyatt Wright wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Basically yes. The pegs are probably added for decorations as they are not necessary.

Now a word of warning. If you notice the panel area is narrow and is probably recessed 1/4" below front and back surface. I see that a knob and bezel have been used on this drawer. Not just any handle or knob will work well with this type drawer as you basically loose 1/4" in extension of the pull that you use. Getting your finger between the pull and the frame of the drawer might be a problem depending on your pull selection. Just something to be aware of.

Reply to
Leon

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in news:htOdne3LFJr1dOLcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yep, looks like that to me, too. I just built a bathroom vanity with that style of drawer and door fronts.

I like the bridle joint because it is easier to make than mortise and tenon joints, and because I like the joinery to be visible (a la much Arts and Crafts furniture). However, not everyone likes obvious joinery, and I would not have used bridle joints for the kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
Hitch