Drawer runners

We've got an IKEA Narvik chest of drawers. The drawers slide on flimsy plastic runners which clip into the side walls. Or more correctly, the drawers slid on flimsy platic runners...

Unfortunately this product was discontinued by IKEA and they don't have any spares for it any more.

What's the best way of replacing the drawer runners, ideally with something a bit more durable than the originals which didn't last all that long?

Reply to
Simon Elliott

Hi,

You can get a large range of different runners from Woodfit.com (U.K. based) You will probably have to be careful of all the clearances and possibly have to do some width adjustments. They are easy to use when building from scratch bit more tricky when retro fitting. They have comprehensive measurements on the web site and catalogue. I have used Woodfit before and have had no problems.

Hope this helps.

Dave W.

Reply to
D.White

I suspect that this may be a little more fiddly than you really want, but Woodfit stock a range of drawer systems made by Blum, called Tandem Box Plus. These drawers are metal sides and back and take a 10mm thick peice of wood for the base so they are darn sturdy. The fixings for fitting the drawer fronts to the new drawer system is a doddle too. Well made stuff, solid runners, decent load support, nice action, reliable. Funilly enough, this is what Ikea now use for all their kitchen drawer systems.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

If this is the standard 1/2 x 1/4 cross section--approx. Cut a piece of wood to the same size as the runners and screw into position with countersunk screws. Works until the drawers fall apart!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Thanks for the suggestions. Several ideas worth following up...

Reply to
Simon Elliott