Leon- arrgh

Leon

Thanks for your input on the Watco Teak Oil. After RonB's comment I went and scanned your Flickr stream. I quickly noticed we share the "same dog." Our fawn Great Dane "Gracie" looks like a twin to Moca.

So anyway I call my wife in to see Moca and after she comments on the dog, she immediately focuses on the jewelry chest at the bottom of the page and states: "That's what you can make me!" She wants hers on a Krenov style base, however.

Thanks, Leon. I needed another project. :) By the way, the jewelry chest is great.

Jerry

Reply to
A Lurker

Further Proof - Be careful what you show you wife!!!

Reply to
RonB

Your welcome, I think. LOL

I can send you the plans I drew if you can read AutoCAD files. They are strictly for reference.

Reply to
Leon

OBTY I added the doors closed pictures and the drawers open pictures.

Leon

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, you erred in showing her those pictures. Now you need to "negotiate" a new tool out of this project. Ya know, something that you "need" to complete this jewelry box project.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

IIRC, Leon made great use of a drum sander to make some of the parts, so that would be a good tool to start with.

I, myself, had planned on using that ploy, but Linda is neither interested in, wears, nor owns, enough jewelery to fill a tea cup.

Counting my blessing ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You can get several Bentleys' worth into a teacup... but you knew that already. *G*

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah. I "cannot imagine" even starting a jewelry box without something like a new 15" (or larger) surface planer or wide bed drum sander :^} If you already have one, get into Lee Valley and start looking at high-end hand tools.

Or maybe you can negotiate for.....errrr....something else.

Reply to
RonB

A chest like that would be good for storing.... saddle squares, rulers, calipers, tilt boxes, etc.

Reply to
Leon

Just remember how easy it is for a burglar to make off with the beautiful chest and all it's contents in one fell swoop. In and out in less than two minutes.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

To tell you the truth, once they are in they can clean you out in 5 minutes regardless of where the stuff is.

Reply to
Leon

--------------------------- Good reason to stay low in the grass and keep your mouth shut.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hell, I can't find stuff - that I put somewhere. If a damned burglar could find stuff I've inadvertentl hidden - I'd hire him/her as my personal assistant.

Come to think of it, kids can find things pretty well - when motivated. Doesn't matter where I stash it, when asked for money and I say "Find my wallet." - it's found - in seconds.

Now where the hell did I leave my glasses!?

Reply to
charlie b

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 09:55:24 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Hey, Leon. Roll everything out, do a quick clean on the floor, and paint it with pure white porch paint. You'll be surprised how much lighter the shop is with a white floor.

The real treat is that all those dropped pieces of tiny hardware show up instantly on it. You don't need epoxy, just a sealer on the concrete before paint. Most already have sealer on 'em. Mine took $35 worth of paint, 2 gals.

-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:50:12 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB scrawled the following:

There ya go. At minimum, he'll need a kerfmaker and a few new Forrest blades.

Surprising her with one of the jewelry boxes would have accomplished that on its own.

-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 11:17:43 -0800, the infamous Zz Yzx scrawled the following:

Nah, the chest is too large to fit in the bag. The perp'd take longer emptying the drawers and be caught by the time they were done.

Jewelry chests help catch criminals, Z.

-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank you, I was designing and going to building one for my wife for Christmas a couple of years ago and my neighbor saw the designs. Build one for me too, he said. I sold to him IIRC $850, and that was a steal for him. Not too much more trouble for me as I built both at the same time. But here is what they go for, scroll down, I used this chest for basic dimensions and altered the drawer configeration a bit.

Hey, Leon. Roll everything out, do a quick clean on the floor, and

I have considered doing that over the past 25 or so years, but my wife does park her car in the garage when I am caught up. My neighbor used an epoxe paint and it did not stick, the paint stuck to the hot tires. I can still live with a grey floor.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah. I "cannot imagine" even starting a jewelry box without something like a new 15" (or larger) surface planer or wide bed drum sander :^} If you already have one, get into Lee Valley and start looking at high-end hand tools.

I made use of the planer and my drum sander. The drum sander was great for tweaking the height of the drawers. I cut all drawer heights for fit tight. They all had to be sanded on the top and bottom to get the spacing between the drawers "just right". I sanded left and right pairs at the same time and kept the tops and bottoms coordinated.

Reply to
Leon

Burglaries here in our town tend to what's called Smash and Grab. One or two "disadvantaged" people take a rock and smash a patio door for a quick entry/exit. They then run inside and grab electronics, laptops, small TV's, jewelry boxes and drugs. The typical time between smashing the patio door and the exit is 3-4 minutes at best, and all that's taken is what they can carry and toss into their car.

There's virtually nothing that can be done to prevent this type of burglary, but some companies sell a film for door and window glass that will cut down on the speed with which the glass can be smashed and removed to gain entry. The old days of prying a door out of the track, picking a lock or jimmying a window etc. are almost in the past, in that regard.

IMHO, the best thing a homeowner can do on a practical level is to use the film on larger doors or windows and to make one Hell of a racket when someone triggers an alarm. In my case, I have installed 130dB sirens INSIDE the house and the garage and connected them to the burglar alarm. When triggered, they actually cause physical pain and surely would cut down on the "dwell" or "search" time a burglar would take inside the home.

My garage (the one with tools in it) has both the typical garage door and also a passage door in the rear. The passage door is metal, fire resistant, and pretty decent. Besides the deadbolt lock, I removed the screws from the strike plate and replaced them with hardened 4" ones that go into the door's framing and not just the trim. Still, a stout person could place their back to the fence and kick it in. To reduce that, I also got a length of chain and a couple eyebolts. The eyebolts are on either side of the door and the chain is connected to one permanently. When we leave town for a trip, I use a split link to connect the other end of the chain to the other eyebolt. While not perfect, it's just another hoop some jerk will have to jump through to get in via that door.

FWIW, we were returning from out of town when a neighbor decided to cook chili and bring us a big bowl as a surprise. She used my code to enter the front door, but forgot to deactivate the burglar alarm. The particular door was on a 30 second delay, and she was in the kitchen when it went off. It was so loud and painful that she dropped the bowl of chili to hold her ears and run out of the house. She returned later with her husband to sweep up the chili and mop the floor, so I'm pretty sure a burglar would find it equally distracting.

For those of you with shops, even the garage variety, it's a pretty cheap way to reduce losses from a burglary.

Reply to
Nonny

Depending on where you keep it, could you add a metal bracket to the back that could be affixed to the rear of the chest or dresser?

Reply to
Nonny