Thanks Swingman, Gripper System

Sometime back before I got hurt you had written something up about the gripper system push block. I happened to pick one up because of that. Today I had to cut quite a few oddball small pieces for a project. What a great tool, always felt as though I had total control of the small pieces.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

The Gripper is fabulous product - so fabulous that you really need two of them (trust me, you will).

Reply to
Steve Turner

Well actually thinking of long skinny pieces I can see your probably right.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

You're more than welcome ... they basically become extensions of my hands on most tasks on the table saw, router table, and jointer.

Steve's right ... you will eventually want two.

Just about now some asshat will invariably jump up and righteously declare the grippers are too expensive and they can make something instead ... may be true for them, but it boils down to me being able to put my trust in a safety device, and there is no doubt that the grippers are more than worthy in that regard.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

And my comment to such remarks are, "Just how much are your hands worth?"

Reply to
Lee Michaels

#1 reason to own 2 is for production ripping narrow pieces where the gripper eventually becomes to narrow to be stabley balanced on top of a narrow piece, less than 1.5" or so. The second gripper with its "jack" leg attached will keep it from rocking even on the narrowest of pieces is worth its weight in gold.

Reply to
Leon

You're right about that. As we've discussed before, about the only thing I don't like is that it is difficult to use them on narrow stock in conjunction with many featherboards, particularly the magnetic ones.

Not the grippers fault, but it would be nice ...

Reply to
Swingman

It's akin to motorcyclists wearing a helmet. "How much is your brain worth"

Max

Reply to
Max

There are those who would question the worth of that metric, when a _motorcyclist_ is involved.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

LOL. I had motorcycles for years and I suspect your right.

Max

Reply to
Max

I just got here... can you give a link? Safety enhancements in the shop are a good thing, no matter the cost. (The cost to repair a partially-severed finger tendon -- a relatively minor procedure -- would buy a nice SawStop. I'd rather have the tool.)

Reply to
Steve

Woodcraft has them on sale on occasion, and amazon has them as well. They come in a couple of different configurations of accessories.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Lee Michaels

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 15:28:55 -0700, the infamous "Max" scrawled the following:

If it's freeway ridin', why wear a helmet? You want to SURVIVE that kind of a crash?

-- We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us. -- Marcel Proust

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Helmets help preserve the face for an open casket funeral. They do nothing to protect the rest of the body.

Reply to
Leon

Paramedics have a name for motorcyclists who don't wear helmets: organ donors.

Reply to
-MIKE-

There seems to be an inherent assumption that a get-off on the freeway will be the result of a head on impace with a truck or something. That's very unlikely. Far more likely is that you'll hit an oil patch or an ice patch and drop the bike and go sliding down the road a pace. And when that happens the right gear makes the difference between "pick the bike up and go on with your ride" and "lie there wishing your were going to die".

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:09:13 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

I walked away from my drop with a headache and some skin off my right forearm. The lady who pulled out in front of me in her Cadiddlyack got a crushed back door. My helmet hit it so hard it broke the window, and the window was up. This at less thatn 35mph on a rainy day. She saw me as she was in my lane and froze, stopping right in my path. i hit both brakes, felt the rear slide left, and jumped on top as it went down. My right forearm (in a jacket, thankfully) helped bounce me onto the bike. I'm a definite believer in helmets, but I wouldn't want one to keep me alive as a vegetable with 123 broken bones and burst organs, TYVM.