Drawer runner

Son has a cheapo chest of drawers (child's room so furniture is not exactly Chippendale)in his room. The drawer slides were only pushed in to the sides (not secured by screws etc) now the majority of the slides are broken letting the drawers all fall into a big pile want to replace these "runners" (do not wish to buy a whole new chest of drawers just because these mouldings have broken)but looking on the net I can only see "proper" runners, these are just plastic mouldings which actually fit in slots in the side of the drawers Does anyone know of any one who will supply these mouldings (have lost the instructions so don't even know which company these drawers came from in the first place (bought the unit from Argos). Am in Edinburgh but quite willing to go the mail order route.

A jpg of the slides/mouldings is available at.

soup

Make new runners from wood.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You have Chippendale in your room?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yup! Doesn't everyone?

Reply to
soup

We don't - and we onlyt live ten miles from his place ...

Seriously, though, we never bought cheap furniture for our kids because it doesn't last under their onslaughts. Instead we had sturdy second hand furniture. It was so good they took it with them when they left home, in some cases their children are using it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

For Mary, Spouse is her Chippendale ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sounds like you might like 'A' chippendale in your room :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I am shocked! - the group handyman making implications about the group matriarch. I have always assumed that Mary would rather have a bit of Wensleydale rather than a bit of Chippendale. But I lead a sheltered life. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

The message from soup contains these words:

hold out much hope of them being exactly the same as the ones you require.

Why not subscribe to FreeCycle, and see if someone is offering any chests of drawers? They're one of the commonly offered items on the Perth and Stirling groups...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Wensleydale isn't what it used to be, it's just another mass produced stuff these days. We don't buy it, there are far better Yorkshire cheeses.

But I admit that I don't understand references to Chippendale other than the cabinet maker. My life must be even more sheltered than yours :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Looks like they could be replaced by square section lengths of wood secured by countersunk screws or even nuts and bolts. B&Q etc should have suitable wood in their mouldings selection if you don't fancy planing to size yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

matriarch? What does Mary have to do with welding?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Looks as though it's something for silly young girls, who haven't got their own man.

Not my style, I'll stick with Spouse - he can even make drawer runners :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nothing, the man in my life does all that. MIG TIG gas, electric ... even smithing.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yup looks more and more like I will have to do something like that. I thought I had nothing more to do than pop to one of the sheds and get a packet of 10 of these for a fiver and fit.

Reply to
soup

You used to be able to buy drawer kits for making your own to virtually any size. And the runners for those were just plain 'U' section plastic which you cut and drilled to fit. They fitted into a recess in the drawer sides - I'd guess like the ones you have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)