wiring an electric cooker

Hello,

I'm just curious to know: if you wire one appliance from the fuse box, you obviously only need one cable but if you were to wire a second appliance, wouldn't it be good to wire a second wire, creating a ring?

I ask because I have noticed that in our kitchen, there is a wire running from the fuse box (consumer unit actually) to the electric oven and the electric hob is a spur of this. I thought they should have used a ring?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

No. Rings are used with 13A sockets for general purpose appliances. Heating appliances are wired on radial circuits like what you have described.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No need, for an application like this you can design the circuit for the expected load.

Rings come into their own when you want to sting a large number of sockets over a big area, but can only guess at average loads and where they will be.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the explanations. I see what you mean: you know how many amps the cooker will pull, so you can install a suitable cable, whereas with sockets it's anyone's guess what load will be plugged in where and when.

However, we have a seperate hob and oven, so there must be a wire from the fuse box to the oven and a second wire to the hob. Do the switches have two terminals as I wouldn't have thought you could squeeze two thick wires into one?

Reply to
nospam

If you use one of the cable outlets designed for cooker connections then there is plenty of space for more than one cable. Note also that for a domestic cooker you can apply "diversity" to the design current (this reduces the anticipated loading by a factor with the understanding that the combination of typical use patterns and thermostatic control of the heater elements will reduce the actual load well below the theoretical maximum). See page 86 of the IEE on site guide.

The calculation is 10A + 30% of the remaining full load. Add a further

5A if the cooker point has a socket fitted.

So a 40A hob/oven combination would be treated for circuit design purposes as 10 + 30% of 30 = or about 20A, or 25A with a socket.

Reply to
John Rumm