Book recommendations

What are the THREE books that have been the most useful to you in your woodworking pursuits?

Reply to
Ben

Not a purist, simply a hacker and amateur boat builder.

Fred Bingham's, Practical Yacht Joinery, suits me fine.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have a bookshelf full of woodworking books and it would be hard to say which I find most useful. It depends on what sort of project I'm undertaking. There is one book I have found to be indispensable: the Checkbook.

Max

Reply to
Max

First one isn't a book, Second one I don't own, Third one you can't buy.

Shopnotes Good book on Finishing Common Sense

Not trying to be a smart ass either, but those, plus the help of the group, is pretty much all I need for the woodworking I do. Google also tops the list.

Reply to
Matt In Fenton

DeCristofero's Complete Book of Wood Joinery

Tolpin's "Measure Twice, Cut Once"

David Pye's "The Nature and Esthetics of Design"

Mark & Juanita

1.) The Complete Book of Woodworking: Detailed Plans for More Than 40 Fabulous Projects at Amazon:
won't become a woodworking classic, but this single book is one of the primary things that got me in to woodworking. Good intro to wood, tools, and techniques, plus some plans for basic projects. I built the step stool and haven't looked back! Lee Valley has a newer version with some different projects. 2.) Google.com obviously not a book, but I've probably learned more from the web than any other single source. First place I tend to look is the archives here, and highlandhardware.com has a BUNCH of helpful pdf articles in their "library" section. Other than that, a variety of sites by professional and amateur woodworkers, manufacturers or retailers, reviewers, and whatever else turns up in a given search. 3.) Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner
is an important part of every project, and this book does a great job of explaining what's really going on with the different types of finish, as well as how to apply them.

Honorable mention: (I'd consider the following excellent books, but some are more specific, or maybe they just don't quite make my top 3)

The Custom Furniture Sourcebook: A Guide to 125 Craftsmen

a how-to book by any means, but it sure is fun to look through - great sources of inspiration in a variety of styles.

Japanese Woodworking Tools: Their Tradition, Spirit, and Use by Toshio Odate Again, not a lot of how-to stuff, but it is a fascinating read.

The Workbench Book by Scott Landis Woodworking Tools Catalog by Lee Valley Band Saw Handbook by Mark Duginske The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction by Andy Rae Mission Oak and Cherry Collection (recent catalog) by Stickley

Thanks - I'm curious to see others' lists, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Tage Frid

Hoadley's "Understanding Wood"

One of my furniture history books, such as Charles Hayward's.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

SIMPLIFIED ELECTRICAL WIRING Author: Sears?

JIGS AND FIXTURES Author: NAGYSZALANCZY, SANDOR
WORKBENCH Author: Schleining, Lon
though the first book has nothing to do with wood except maybe how to drill through it and run a fish tape you can't have a workspace without knowing how to run outlets and install lights.

If Magazines count I would add Wood Magazine.

Why THREE books?

Reply to
RayV

I have an extensive book collection, mostly because I had been writing a book review column for Canadian Woodworking for a while and publishers provided books to me for review.

The ones I value the most are the ones about tuning and using tools, particularly for the Router, which is the most versatile tool in the shop (Router Magic tops that list)

Others include the following:

Identifying Wood and Understanding Wood by R. Bruce Hoadley

The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery and Shaping Wood, published by Taunton

The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking by James Krenov - a great read by a master.

The Fine Art of Tools - published by Taunton - truly eyecandy for woodworkers

Of course, the problem with any list is that it not only leaves off a huge number of other great books, it probably won't reflect your own interests. I also have great books on carving, woodturning and really intersting project books, such as "Marvelous Transforming Toys.

Finally, the best 'book' on my shelf is the annual Lee Valley Tools catalog!

Michel

Wood Portal

Reply to
Michel

  1. Encyclopedia of Furniture Making

  1. Understanding=A0Wood=A0Finishing

  2. The Complete Guide to Sharpening

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I think every would love to have this book in their collection:

'll be out in about a week or two. Full disclosure: I worked on this book, as did other Wreck regulars including Charlie Self and AJ Hamler (the editor of this particular volume).

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Forgive me if this is given knowledge, but why "Collins"?

-- Kurt

Reply to
Carlin

Because the publisher is Harper Collins.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Broad area this woodworking thing - solid wood furniture, ply and face frame cabinets, turning, carving, sculpture, . . . Then there's hand tools vs power tools, maintenance, sharpening, . . .

For solid wood furniture making

Krenov - any of his books - for an aproach to furniture making Encylcopedia of Furniture Making - to understand what the parts are and what they do - especially the stuff you don't see from the outside Di Cristafora's book on joinery - being aware of a couple hundred ways to hold two pieces of wood together gives you options once you've decided what you're going to make

For play and face frame

Loaned my copy so I'm not sure of the name or author but it's in a 3 ring binder. Has drawings of standard cabinets and drawer units, with parts list, cuts layout, assembly order and tips on making things easier

Router Magic - routers make this type of work easier

Turning

Anything by Richard Raffan

Carving

Anything by Nora Hall