Finishing book

Can someone recommend good book about finishing? I have no finishing experience.

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

I liked Bob Flexner's book _Understanding Wood Finishing_.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Ditto, I'll also add Jewett's 2004 book:

I have both, and give the slight nod to Jewitt for updated information, especially about water base materials.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Some recommendations and reviews are here:

friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you, saying, "That was ****ing awesome!".

Reply to
Groggy

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This fellow is pragmatic, and has good advice for beginning to intermediate finishers.

other recommendations I saw were also excellent.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:08:06 -0500, the inscrutable "Alexander Galkin" spake:

In this order:

"Hand-Applied Finishes" by Jeff Jewitt. (best all-around) "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. (best technical) "Woodfinishing Book" by Michael Dresdner. (worst photography, but there is a new--titled "New WF Book"--copy out which I haven't seen.) "Spray Finishing" by Andy Charron (also "waterborne finishes")

I haven't seen Frank Klausz' finishing book, but I know he loves Waterlox on Cherry and I'm sure the book is a good one.

My suggestion: Get some Waterlox and give it a try. Once you get a good finish with that, you can experiment with other, more picky finishes. But this one can't be beat.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in news:jKWdndWve-QwwnXcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I agree.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Me either, but I start LOTS of things ;)

"Alexander Galkin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Jim