Janitrol A/C Problem

Last week, we arrived at our South FL home and discovered that our A/C was not working (~20 year old 4 ton Janitrol). I called my A/C guy, who was booked solid 10 days out.

In desperation, I decided to try to fix the unit myself. The condensor fan was not running. The compressor was running and sounded scary.

I replaced the condensor fan and the capacitor. Everything seemed to be working fine, with the unit putting out lots of cold air and sounding normal. I was concerned that the system might have had some damage during the week or so it was running (not continuously) with the inop fan motor.

I kept my appointment with my A/C guy for the end of the week to have him check everything out.

Today, the system quit working. The condensor fan was still running, but it appeared that the compressor was not running. I turned the system off for an hour or so. When I turned it on again, everything worked fine for about

4-5 hours, at which point the compressor again quit running. I tried turning the system off an on again, with no results.

I know that the right answer is to replace the system. However, I'm want air NOW, not next week. A couple of questions:

  1. Is the compressor toast? Any chance there is a relatively easy fix?
  2. What should a replacement system cost?
  3. When I replace the unit, should I also replace the air handler?
  4. Should I go with a new R-22 or R410A system?
  5. Any suggestions on brand of unit (+ or -)

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Could be, hard to get operational data over the net.

Simple or major... till the data is collected, anything is just a guess.

5 - 10 grand.

Yes, and possibly some ducting upgrades.

R-22

Any brand that is sized, installed and set-up to operate within the manufacture's specifications.

Reply to
<kjpro

What ever you do, replace the condensing unit or the compressor, have your technician install safeties controls on your system to shut it down if you have another problem.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Exactly what kind of safeties are helpful in an installation where the owner is not present for extended periods?

Reply to
Mike Schumann

THe kind that come standard on top quality equipment but don&#39;t come on the cheap stuff like Junkatrol

Reply to
Noon-Air

Low & High Pressure Switches & Time Delay Relay.

Talk to your tech, he should be able to fill you in.

Most high end equipment come preinstalled with them but you can always add them to a lower end unit.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Mike, did you know that the lowly air conditioner is the only appliance on the planet that when its broke, it is not turned off?

It amazes me even today that people really expect an ac unit to fix itself, and thus leave it turned on, calling for more cooling.

Before you fork out the big bucks for your next ac system, aim for built-in safeties like a manual reset high pressure switch, as well as a low pressure switch. Even a third-party add on hi pressure switch would have saved your compressor from your destructive impatience.

Have you heard the weather forecast? HOT HOT HOT

Reply to
gofish

If you did not install the motor & fan 100% correctly, It&#39;s possible to for the system to continue to operate. It will just operate hot, as if it&#39;s inside a south-Florida attic in the middle of August, and serve as a fine way to finish off a 20 year old condensing unit.

-zero

Reply to
-zero