Electronic damper for home use?

I live in Colorado, and the standard summer weather pattern is that it gets hot in the daytime (90s) but in the evening generally drops into the 60s. What I want to create, is a system that detects ...

1) I'm in Cooling mode (not Heating) 2) The outside temperature is lower than the desired inside temperature 3) The actual inside temperature is higher than the desired inside temperature

When that happens, I want the system to turn off the AC and open a damper to bring in outside air. The damper would have to seal tightly enough that it didn't let in too much cold air in the winter.

Any suggestions for how to do this without spending too much money? It seems like I need...

1) electronic damper 2) control system smart enough to perform normal thermostat-type functions, plus this extra stuff.

I'm new to this, so don't worry about insulting me by telling me things that are normally considered obvious (grin).

Thanks! Chris

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

A two stage thermostat (cooling). The first stage opens the damper. The second stage controls the A/C. This way wont control humidity very well. If humidity control you'll need a little more money and use and enthalpy control. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Depends what "too much money" winds up being.

Here's one example;

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Luckily, in Colorado we don't worry much about humidity (grin).

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

Too much money is getting a top quality installation of properly sized, and installed equipment and ductwork. If that had been done in the first place, there wouldn't be any issues now.

Reply to
Noon-Air

gofish

Amen, brother.

However, the home was built in the 70s with the HVAC installed and designed by myopic baboons. Tri-level with absolutely no returns on the upper level (somebody hacked one in later).

Reply to
Chris Shearer Cooper

How many professionally installed home HVAC systems have you seen that include an economizer????? Here's an end user asking a very reasonable question. Why give the guy an attitude?

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

here's a clue... Resi apps generally use an ERV or an HRV instead of an economizer. It has to do with IAQ.

Reply to
Noon-Air