Electric car sales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/electric-car-sales-rise-china-demand-market-asia-global-q3-profits-2017-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?
--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

We probably were there at the turn of the century but like now, they were expensive and not practical for many because of the lack of charging points and so limited range (so died out for all but milk floats and local utility vehicles).
I still have my Enfield 8000 (Moke) but to charge it I had to drive it into the back garden. That's ok unless someone hasn't parked across my drive. ;-(
I wonder if that situation might change what I understand to be the response of the Police to people blocking access to your drive. I understood they would get people moved to let you out but not necessarily move people to let you back on the drive again? Not good if that's the only charging point you can make it to? ;-(
Cheers, T i m

Although your reason is accurate for both “turn of the century” is a bit ambiguous now. Could mean 19th to 20th or 20th to 21st. Electric vehicles were around for both “turns “.
GH

Well, one might guess that I was talking about the period where electric vehicles *first* appeared and were used in reasonable numbers. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 08/02/2018 12:12, T i m wrote:

So the 1800s then. Electric cars then had about the same range as the leaf at about 75 miles. The only really practical electric car appear to be the renault zoe which can easily do 130+ miles on a charge and can use fast DC chargers. The leaf does less than 100 miles on a charge.
The big drawback is you can't charge a zoe for 16 hours from a 13A socket without paying for a ~£550 option, you just have to make do with the 6 hours charge from the free 32A outlet they install for you. The leaf comes with a 13A charge cable but no 32A charger outlet.
On 08/02/2018 19:49, dennis@home wrote:

I think 20miles at a maximum of 15mph was nearer the mark

The ZE40 has a range of 140 - 185 miles under normal driving dependant on temperature. The current Zoe models can only charge from AC, either 22kW or 43kW depending on model.

For the old model yes. The latest model with 40kWh battery will do 140 - 150 miles.

If you buy a new Zoe you get a 7kW charger and installation for 'free' - part of the EV government grant.
Andy

I thought it was the other way round. You have no legal right to get your vehicle from your property onto the public highway but must have the ability to remove your vehicle from the highway. Or am I wrong?
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Pass. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 08-Feb-18 10:29 AM, Paul Herber wrote:

In both cases, the vehicle is causing an unnecessary obstruction and can be booked for that offence. However, it will only be removed if it is stopping somebody from leaving their drive. If it is stopping them entering, the official position is that the car trying to enter the drive can park somewhere else and invoking the Removal and Disposal of Vehicles Regulations 1986 is not justified.

Colin Bignell
On 08/02/2018 18:38, Nightjar wrote:

So if I can't get into my drive, can I claim that I need access to couple up and drive off with my trailer rather than for parking? Failing that, I suppose I could tell them that I need to get the kit-car out.
SteveW
On 07/02/2018 18:31, T i m wrote:

Around my there are hundreds of long streets where people have no driveway and cars are parked on both sides along the whole length of the streets. No way of charging a vehicle unless thousands of people run their extension cords across the pavements or charging points are provided every car two lengths.
I wonder who will be paying for this infrastructure and the subsequent upkeep (rhetorical question). What comes first - people buying the cars and trying to find somewhere overnight to charge them during periods of low energy demand or provide the facilities that few people will use until take-up of electric cars reaches a substantial number.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 17:27:24 UTC, alan_m wrote:

People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars. They are a menace.
On 08-Feb-18 6:13 PM, harry wrote: ...

I have a garage with an electricity supply, but it is far too useful for other purposes to use it just to store my car.

Colin Bignell
On 08-Feb-18 6:13 PM, harry wrote: ...

People with no brains (*) should be allowed on the Internet. They are a menace.
(* That's you, harry, that is.)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 39th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3184

I don't know anyone who uses their garage for their car. ;-)
--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

my wife's car gets into just over half of our garage. Being built in the early 1970s, the double garage isn't wide enough for two modern cars. We managed a Cortina & a (real) Mini at one time.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Yup. Very few single garages are of a convenient size for any modern car. Hence them not being used for one.
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 18:41:12 UTC, Nightjar wrote:

Ah yes. The idiot syndrome. Leaves twenty grand car out in all weathers and fills the garage with junk. I have two cars, two garages and......a shed for the junk. Car insurance is cheaper too. And they all have electricity.
On 09-Feb-18 7:32 AM, harry wrote:

Cars are designed to be outside in all weathers and I don't use the garage for storing junk. However, I will grant that my car probably is worth only 20 grand by now; It is seven years old.

I have three sheds and a garage.

Not enough to be important.

Not necessarily. I had to have a cable run to my garage, which is at the bottom of the garden, with access to a different road from the one my house fronts. My partner lives in a flat and her garage is one of a row with no power.

Colin Bignell