Jaguar Land Rover

More good news from Brexit. Jaguar will move production from the UK to the EU if we end up with less than the same free movement of goods as now. With all the implications that has on the many small companies who supply then with parts.
Just how much more 'good' news can we stand?
--
*Gravity is a myth, the earth sucks *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You've overlooked the "if" in their statement, nobody knows how that will end up, so just sit tight?
The aussies (who have more recent experience at negotiating trade deals than us) claim you should ignore everything that's said before the final three weeks to the deadline as posturing ...
On 11/09/2018 17:58, Andy Burns wrote:

Sounds about right.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 11/09/18 17:58, Andy Burns wrote:

That's alright then. We will have a bit more total uncertainty, that's all. Just keep loading the freezer with food and medicine and hope not to lose your job. No worries there?
It's become a complete joke. I hear the people of North Somerset are going to form a mob of sans-cullottes to scale the walls of the Reely-Smug estate and burn his chateau.
Tim w
On 11/09/2018 18:23, TimW wrote:

freezer no good when electricity goes off.

Err, Brexiteers positively thrive on 'ifs'. Why do you expect others not to do the same? But when it come from one in charge of a company rather than the likes of Farage etc in charge of nothing, perhaps more credible?

But it was all going to be so easy, we were promised by Bexiteers. The whole world just gagging for trade deals with the UK.
--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

Yup. Trumps trade wars has been oh so successful. According to Trump. Only.
--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

as JLR sell 20% of their cars in the UK
and 20% of their cars in Europe
moving to Europe would simply mean that they have to pay tariffs on the 20% that they export back to the UK instead of the 20% that they export to Europe, after having paid out hundreds of millions to move their factory
They are BLUFFING
tim
On 11/09/2018 20:43, tim... wrote:

You are stupid if you believe that.
They have told you the extra costs they will suffer from if they don't get a free trade deal and what is likely to happen.
If you want to produce figures about how much they will lose as a result of no trade deal feel free to post some facts.
Remember its not just tariffs on cars its all the extra costs of customs clearance and tariffs on the bits moving around before the cars get built. You don't think that the cars are built in Britain from British parts do you?
On 11/09/2018 22:29, dennis@home wrote:

You don't believe that all these parts current travel across borders without paperwork and EU bureaucracy taking place in back offices do you? Many parts are sourced outside of the EU even though they may be branded with a company name that is associated with a EU country.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

which also go both ways,
some of the parts are currently imported from rEU
some will be exported from the UK, if they move.

we have a significant automotive parts "industry"
And the point is that they will have to suffer those costs in one direction OR the other, they either pay the additional costs of selling in the EU from the UK, or the PAY the costs of selling to the UK from the EU.
If a company does 90% of its business in rEU and 10% in the UK then it makes sense to move, as they will effectively save the costs on 80% of their sales
but if the UK/EU sales are the same the costs saving from moving will be ZERO
tim

What an odd if. The biggest customer for JLR products is China. Add that to NA sales makes it about double the sales to the EU.
Just what tariffs NA and China may apply to good from the UK after we leave the EU isn't known. Whereas JLR already know the conditions they export under while the UK is in the EU.

But surely we were told leaving the EU would push up workers wages? By vastly reducing the supply of them? Which is going to increase JLR's costs? Or was that just another empty promise to get the working class to vote Brexit?
--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

yes
and as the EU does NOT have a trade deal with either of these countries moving to the EU will not change their costs of supply to those countries

yes it is
they will, because they MUST charge the same as they do to the EU.
Have you been asleep when ever WTO rules are discussed?

only at the bottom end.

We don't have a trade deal with them either. However, we do with the EU, and more JLR products are sold there than in the UK - and with far more chance of expanding sales there than in the UK when the poorer countries in the EU get richer. If leaving the EU means more expensive JLR products in the EU, I'd say they would be silly not to move there.

Tell that nice Mr Trump that.

That nice Mr Trump obviously was. As were the Chinese and Canadians and Mexicans etc. Who apply tariffs to what they want on a random basis. As happens in trade wars.

Now we have it. So much for the 'better for all'. Now it would be better only for the very lowest paid. And Rees Mogg, of course.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

On 12/09/2018 15:54, tim... wrote:

Yes it will. The costs are in the components not in exporting a car.

So increasing costs and fuelling wage inflation.

So another remainer who wants to live on the backs of low wage workers.
--
bert

So you don't want workers wages to rise.
--
bert

Remind us what you thought of that nice Mr Scargill wanting to increase coal workers pay?
You may have to use your other face to answer that one.
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

That nice Mr Scargill successfully increased miners pay.
Then he decided to overthrow an elected government and was met with whatever was needed to ensure he couldn't.

On 13/09/2018 20:38, bert wrote:

He might have at one time, but not now he's not working.
DP supports the politics of envy.