Chyyyyna order

Just ordered something from Chyyyna at $35 post free and ebay added $7 VAT ...never done that before....guess it's time to stop buying stuff.......why is brexit affecting stuff from Chyyyyna ? ...

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

They're doing you a favour. HMRC should be charging VAT on import and the carrier would usually add an admin charge, in the region of £10.

For me it's brill, as I can generally reclaim the VAT and don't get stung by an admin fee.

Reply to
Fredxx

They are collecting up the dots from your posts, making shotgun cartridges out of them, and shooting the delivery people. So it's all your fault.

Reply to
Tim Streater

never paid vat on a small orders like that from china before....don't get why brexit is now affecting small orders from china that were just delivered without the vat and £8 admin po charge ?????

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

ha ha...funny

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

buy why?

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

but why ?

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

bugger that for a game of soldiers.....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

I've never paid VAT buying from China. I tend to by direct Aliexpress, etc. But generally small stuff < £50.

Reply to
Pancho

me neither but you will now .....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

How do you know? I understand you were charged by EBay but how are you extrapolating this to everything?

It seems reasonable that as IT tracking systems improve VAT would be added, but if they are doing this to every Aliexpress sale to the UK, it would be in Aliexpress' interests to handle it at point of sale, like Ebay did for you.

Reply to
Pancho

The bastards ebay or the seller don't even tell you that they are going to charge you 20% vat before you commit to buy....do you think the chinese sellers are going to pass the vat on to the government ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Aliexpress say:

"From 11PM 31 December 2020, AliExpress is required by law to collect UK Value-Added Tax (VAT) at the applicable rate and remit to the UK tax authority when goods are sold to UK customers (i) where the goods are located outside the UK at the point of sale with a consignment value of GBP135 or less, or (ii) where the goods are in the UK at the point of sale, but sold by an overseas seller. For more information, please visit:"

It's the law for them to do that - UK law now, rest of EU in July. (the EU postponed their date due to the pandemic, the UK didn't due to Brexit)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Previous rules allowed a minimum value of £15 before duty was payable. Some retialers like Tesco would ship CDs from offshore to bypass VAT. That means your import should have attracted VAT and a courier admin charge.

Many Chinese sellers are already VAT registered, though my experience of them is they are typically unwilling to provide a VAT invoice.

I don't see the issue, it makes legitimate UK products competitive on a level playing ground. You seem to want your cake and eat it.

Reply to
Fredxx

on 11/01/2021, Fredxx supposed :

If you ask for a VAT receipt, likely they will supply it VAT free to avoid providing the receipt.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Cool, thanks Theo. Taxes and duties applied at point of sale certainly seems to be the way to go. I was surprised that the Brexit commentaries made such a big deal of extra red tape. I imagined international tariffs and taxes could and should be largely automated.

A few teething problems but not much more.

Reply to
Pancho

Some play silly buggers, others refund the VAT element.

Only a few do seem willing to put a VAT number on the invoice :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

It takes one form to register.

Probably because a VAT inclusive price can't compete.

I have no idea how this works, but their paperwork can't be too complex for overseas sellers.

Reply to
Fredxx

Depends if they send it as a gift..

Reply to
jon

nope no more gifts.....that has been stopped

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart