Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Is rear view mirror glue something special (or just contact cement?)

Rarely is a glue only for one job, so I just wonder if normal crazy glue will work to put a mirror back on the windshield.

Must it be special branded windshield glue? Or will something else work as well?

Reply to
Mad Roger

replying to Mad Roger, Iggy wrote: Go with the Special Rearview Mirror Glue. Krazy Glue sucks at most things and will quickly pop right off of non-porous surfaces.

Reply to
Iggy

I've had two rearview mirrors replaced on 2 different vehicles after replacing the windshield. In both instances it was some sort con- struction adhesive that was used, no special windshield glue and both mirrors maintained their hold. It might have been liquid nails that was used but I absolutely have no idea.

Sorry, I'm no help.

Just a thought, call a windshield repair shop and ask them what they use or could they possibly reattach yours? If they don't charge you, give the guy $5 for his trouble.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

It is some sort of crazy glue stuff AFAIK. Auto Zone and others carry Permatex brand for $4.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd get the right stuff because it won't ruin your windshield when it gets bumped.

Reply to
Danny D.

The rear view mirror type glue might be designed to shear off if your mirror gets slammed somehow, so I prefer using it. I had a mirror assembly that I super glued on knocked off, and the shoe took a small chunk of glass off with it. I used an epoxy type glue on that to replace it.

Reply to
Vic Smith