black dots above rear-view mirror

I probably need a new windshield, for my 2005 Toyota Solara.

My factory windshield has a bunch of black dots over the rear-view mirror area, so it's about 50% shaded.

Do these dots have a purpose, keeping the electronic mirror cool, maybe, or making it easier for me to look in the mirror without having the sun in my eyes?

Do all replacement windows have ths same dots, or will there be ones that fit but don't have them?

I don't want to get in a situation where he comes out here to replace the window and brings only one that is dotless.

In fact, I think the biggest place in Baltimore actually does work at its shop. Probably better to go there than have him come to me, right?

P.S. I used the Permatex windshind patch but I dont' think it worked. It did work 10 years ago on a different car.

Reply to
micky

The windshields generally come without dots but the installer can add them using a Sharpie and a dot spacing template.

Reply to
Tony

They do serve a purpose and a new glass will have them too. There is a frit band around the edge of the glass for the adhesive to stick to. The halftone pattern is a transition and actually helps in temperature distribution from the sun load. Frit is a baked on ceramic coating.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dots or tint gradient - either will work. You don't want a non=tinted windsheild. Ask for OEM if possible

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why not pose this issue to the location where the replacement windshield will be installed??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Because that would make too much sense? This is Micky posting this stuff, remember? LOL!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I think you nailed it.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

its still more on topic compared to the political rants m

Reply to
makolber

Yes, it's on topic, sort of, but it's one of Micky's topics that goes around and around and around in circles when her questions can usually be answered by picking up the telephone. Give her a simple, direct answer and you're met with "but, but, what if, etc." Just like this windshield question. It can be answered over the phone or by asking the installer.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Ahah, I just assumed Micky was a guy. If in fact Micky is a girl, that does explain the nature of all the past posts ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

By which I meant they come to you and you can also go to them.

I'll do that. Thanks. And thanks, Ed.

Reply to
micky

Aha.