Coffee makers...

I've got an old Mr. Coffee maker that needs to be replaced.

Has anyone bought one recently that they're pleased with?

I don't really need a high-capacity version.

4-6 cups is all that's needed (actually, 4 or less).
Reply to
J.Albert

WM sells a Farberware 5 cup unit for around 15 bucks . The current one I have has auto-brew , auto shutoff , and a clock , none of which I find useful . Makes enough coffee for me to have 2 big cups and a little to share with the dog . He likes extra milk in his .

  --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

replying to J.Albert, Iggy wrote: The Hamilton Beach 46205 (now the 46201) 12-Cup is the best. You can choose to brew down to 1-4 cups, but have capacity for guests or dinner parties (if ever needed). I had one of their Brew Stations for most of this century and it made any coffee the best it could be...amazing actually.

However, I couldn't find a new Brew Station model when the 1st finally died, so I went with a $20 Black & Decker. Which, has been perfectly fine since I had switched to Folgers Black Silk, I don't think that stuff can be made bad.

Reply to
Iggy

I use a French press, which is simple and preferred by most coffee aficianados.

Reply to
trader_4

I have a 12 "cup" Mr. Coffee. It makes perfectly adequate coffee. I think it was $13.99 on sale at a Walmart-like store. Its (identical) predecessor lasted about 4 years. No bells or whistles.

Mr. Coffee's idea of a "cup" appears to be about 6 ounces. My coffee cup holds 20 ounces, so I can get about 3 cups out of a pot (leaving a little headroom so it doesn't spill when I walk around the house).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I'm using a 12 dollar coffee maker from Dollar General, must have made at least a couple of thousand gallons of coffee with it now. Simple on/off switch. I run vinegar through it to clean it. Gawt Damn... here it is ...

.. everything is on youtube now days. I splurge and buy paper coffee filters.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Consumer Reports rates this as a Best Buy: Hamilton Beach 12-cup Programmable 49465R $25. It rated a

79 compared to the top rated Cuisinart DCC-3200 which scored 84. The Cuisinart is $100.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I have the identical Mr. Coffee. Just bought a couple of months ago to replace one that lasted more than 5 years. I noticed minor improvements. I put what is graduated as 7 cups of water in it to get the two large cups (actually 2 cups in each).

My wife uses a Keurig mostly for tea. Nice machine but individual disposable coffee or tea containers are pricey. You can buy refillable containers cheap and use your own coffee. Only makes individual cups but only takes a few minutes to make a cup. The large setting is not enough to fill my big cup though. Keurig machine costs nearly 5X Mr. Coffee.

Reply to
Frank

My coffee cup also holds about 20 ounces, and I have a 12 cup Mr Coffee too. But I pour the water in from my cup, making a cup at a time. My wife does the same with her smaller cup. She drinks a different brand, weaker coffee. Filters are cheap, and once you find a measure of coffee that suits you, you're set. Only time we make a full pot is when we have company.

Reply to
Vic Smith

That's pretty much the standard used by the industry, 6 ounces of coffee is a cup. For example, if you buy dinnerware, the coffee cups typically are sized to 6 ounces too.

I use a mug, so I'm at least a full 8 ounces in even the smaller mugs.

Reply to
trader_4

Stick with Mr. Coffee they have the sizes you can use.

Reply to
redzap78

They are a good value and they work. The aficionado would have to spend a lot more for a Technivorm Moccamaster ($300) with SCCA approval. If you want a better cup of coffee, buy a grinder and beans from some of the better mail order places. Fresh ground is really very good. Just one of many good coffee sellers:

Ed Pawlowski

When I get really over the top I get green beans from Sweet Maria's and roast my own. Their web site has info on DIY roasting with popcorn poppers etc as well as fancy commercial roasters.

After years of dark roasts I've found I like a lighter roast. More caffeine too :)

Reply to
rbowman

.

I've never met a coffeemaker that I like.  The built-in hotplates give the coffee a burnt flavor after an hour or two of use.

Turns out a simple coffee filter funnel, a #6 paper cone filter and a 1 liter thermos bottle will make perfect coffee and keep it hot and fresh tasting all day.

Harvey Wallbanger

  I find 8 o'clock brand beans at WM make a very good cup of coffee . I mix their dark italian espresso with columbian peaks 50/50 and grind fresh for every pot . A nice deep full flavor without an acid bite . I prefer a burr grinder over the whirling blades , much easier to get a uniform grind .  Only downside I've found is that restaurant coffee most of the time is pretty weak - as my friend Wally said the other day "You can taste the water in it." .   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I usta.

I usta work right aroud the corner from their original Emeryville, CA, location. Even once sold a NIB Poppery I. Now I have a Poppery II, but no longer roast my own. Jes buy it from a local roaster.

More caffeine is usually a matter or whether it's a robusta or an arabica, rather than the roasting/brewing method (some exceptions). I usta drink straight Starbucks from our company cafeteria. Not cuz it tasted good (ick!), but cuz it was a cheap robusta and had lotsa caffeine to keep me awake in front of my computer.

Try Nestle's Instant Iced Tea mix. Wire you up, good! Jes make sure yer close to a restroom. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have French press, a Melitta pour-over cone also much touted by the exper ts, a percolator, a coffee maker that you put your own cup under, and a cof fee maker that fills the carafe.

For the family I use the last one, about $10 at Walmart. I did buy a perma nent filter rather than use the paper filters, because every once in a whil e the paper would fold over and drop grounds into the pot.

For myself I use a one quart mason jar. I put coffee and water in it, let it cold brew on the counter 24 hours, filter it through a coffee filter, an d it keeps in the fridge. Mix with equal amount of water, microwave for 90 seconds, and I have a cup of much better tasting coffee than I can get wit h the other methods.

Reply to
TimR

I used to blend a 50/50 mix of 8 o'clock and Hills Brothers Columbian. That was the only coffee guests would praise and ask what brand I used. The 8 o'clock has no bite at all. Excellent coffee otherwise, but I'd drink it like water if brewed alone. That was 30 years ago. Restaurant coffee is usually bad enough that we always take our coffee maker and fixings and a thermos with us on vacations.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Pretty interesting. What amounts of coffee + water do you use for the best results?

Reply to
J.Albert

let it cold brew on the counter 24 hours, filter it through a coffee filter , and it keeps in the fridge. Mix with equal amount of water, microwave fo r 90 seconds, and I have a cup of much better tasting coffee than I can get with the other methods.

cae4b0d6341fe78d16

IDK why I never tried making it. Found the above and I'm going to try today.

Reply to
trader_4