coffee maker planned obsolescence

Our ~ 5 year old drip coffee maker < Krups brand > suddenly started behaving as if it was partly clogged. Steaming & gurgling & slow. I ran kettle cleaner through it - no change. I ran vinegar through it - no change. I took it apart and the tubes look very clean - no buildup. Other people have said that theirs did exactly the same thing < different brands eg Hamilton Beach > I'm convinced it's a planned obsolescence scenario .. We bought a Braun this time but it's workings look very similar to the rest. John T.
On 7/12/2019 7:40 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

  My $15 Farberware 5 cup from Walmart is chuggin' along just fine , going on 10 years or so . Been long enough that I really don't remember . I just change the charcoal filter occasionally and run some cleaner thru it when it gets a little slow .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 7/12/19 9:05 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Yup, similar experience for my same-priced Mr. Coffee from Walmart...
--
When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.
- James Dale Davidson

That's my experience with previous coffee makers - failure after many more years of use & abuse. This premature failure - combined with a few stories of identical failures - really has me wondering ... John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

John-
When my Mr. Coffee started acting up, I found that something gummy had gotten into its internal "ball valve". The purpose of this valve is to only let water flow one way out of its reservoir into the heater.
By taking this valve apart and cleaning it, the coffee maker is as good as new. Perhaps your clog is not affected by either kettle cleaner or vinegar.
Fred

Thanks Fred. What I see as a ball valve is a tiny white plastic piece that seems to be moulded right into the bottom section of the reservoir - it's free to wobble about - doesn't look fouled in any way - and looks impossible to get at or get out for closer examination ... perhaps I'll try a long skinny brush to scour it .. The other makes I looked into at the stores seemed the same. It would seem to explain the symptoms though - water flowing too slowly into the heat-element causing the steaming & gurgling .. I'm open to any other ideas or advice. I really hate throwing an otherwise good coffee maker in the trash .. John T.
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 22:58:22 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I took the coffee maker apart, a second time ; looked closer and scoured around the tiny ball valve with a small brush and removed some debris - likely coffee grounds from an accidental overflow .. I think I have it repaired. A couple photos :
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zqssbc&s=9#.XSxupWVuldg
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pt41zk&s=9#.XSxud2Vuldg
John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

John T.-
Your coffee maker is a LOT more sophisticated than my Mr. Coffee!
After repairing mine, I made a pot of water with no coffee to test the repair.
Fred
On 7/12/2019 5:40 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I just buy coffee at starbucks.
On 7/15/19 12:12 PM, Jaspar Towing Service wrote:

Michael Moore Wants You to Boycott Starbucks
https://www.eater.com/2019/2/1/18206714/michael-moore-starbucks-boycott-howard-schultz
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 12:25:08 -0400, Mickey-Bob

Finally, I have a reason to go to a Starbucks.
On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 12:40:22 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

howard-schultz

They do have excellent coffee that's very consistent wherever you buy it around the world. You don't have to go there to get it. Costco carries the French roast beans at good prices. They also carry Pete's which is excellent, in the same class. Either of those is 10x better than the common brands at the supermarket.
On 7/15/19 12:52 PM, trader_4 wrote:

A home roaster can duplicate the Charbucks flavor by over-roasting just about any cheap bean.
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 15:22:05 -0400, Juan Valdez

I axed our local small-tyme coffee roaster dude - http://www.badencoffee.ca/
- about home drip coffee ... using the same beans & roast - - he said it was usually water temperature and/or water minerals < mainly iron in our area > .. but but I tried bottled water ! .. and my home brew is still inferior ... dunno. I'm convinced they put a little-something-extrra in theirs .. As for the big American franchise - we pronounce it Char-Buck$. Many many years ago - Tim Hortons was consistantly delicious - - now it's hit & miss ... mostly miss. John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

John-
When I was in the army, I learned that adding a little salt to the grounds improved the flavor.
That was with a 35 cup percolator. I don't know if it would help a modern drip coffee maker.
Also, now we worry about salt clogging our arteries!
Fred
On 7/16/19 12:11 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Actually, salt doesn't clog your arteries- it raises your blood pressure. Cholesterol and plaque clog your arteries...
On 07/15/2019 01:22 PM, Juan Valdez wrote:

I have trader_4 in the bozo bin so I only see people replying to him. I scrolled up to see who thought they had excellent coffee but I should have known.
On 7/16/2019 12:12 AM, rbowman wrote:

Same here. Sometimes he makes sense but most time not.
On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 8:50:58 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

on Beach >

cott-howard-schultz

it

Heh, Frank, you little snowflake, you're a certified trumptard! Does that make sense?
On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 12:12:42 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

Yes, hide little snowflake, hide! And since when did coffee become such a nasty, divisive issue? For the record, for those that consider Starbucks coffee "burnt", I say you just like warm water with sugar because you're grown accustomed to drinking weak, mostly flavorless coffee.