French press coffee maker

Got me a new French Press but it doesn't have volume lines.

Can't scratch them on with an etching tool because it gets hot. Worried glass might break along the lines if I etch them in.

Put a marker along the 200ml lines (one teaspoon/200ml water). But it keeps washing away in the dishwasher. Every time I try.

What do you use to write lines on glass that will get hot & wet?

Reply to
knuttle

This is bit of a sideways response, but what I've been doing with my press is to measure the water in the cup I plan to put the finished coffee in. It's hard to get it wrong.

Reply to
croy

Masking tape.

Reply to
TimR

I make a full FP at a time. What doesn't get used that day is OK the next day to get started while waiting for more to brew. I just reheat it in the microwave. Even if I was going to make a half or one third batch, if that's what I did regularly, I would just get the water close enough by just winging it. It doesn't have to be exact.

Reply to
trader_4

I have a French press and used it for a while and decided the results weren't worth the effort. My family uses enough creamer I don't think it matters how you make coffee.

Anyway, the theory behind French press doesn't depend on exact measurements, it's all about controlling the water temperature. The claim is a normal coffee maker is too hot or too cold, I forget which. Maybe so, I don't know.

If I'm going to drink it black I use cold brew. I use a mason jar, leave it in the refrigerator 24 hours, filter the grounds, and I'm left with a concentrate that keeps for a couple weeks in the fridge. I just dilute it and microwave it as needed.

Reply to
TimR

Really not much effort. You just put the coffee in, put boiling water in, put the top on, wait 3 minutes, then press it down. It is a bit more effort to clean up compared to say a drip machine where you just toss the filter. I solved that by adding more water, swish it around, throw it in the flower bed, then rinse out in the sink. I'm not sure that the coffee is any better than what you get from a drip machine or other method though. Seems the Aeropress is the gadget some of the coffee gurus claims is the best. That's like a big plastic syringe kind of thing that forces the water through the coffee using a filter. I have one of those too, got it as a gift. Same thing, the coffee is good, not sure it's better than other methods. I guess I could arrange a blind tasting, that's the only way to try to really tell.

Reminds me of the article in the NY Times about 20 years ago. They got a bunch of food critics and similar types to do a blind tasting of Vodkas. They had most of the brands you see every day, eg Gray Goose, Smirnoff, Stoli, etc. The critics picked the Smirnoff, which costs a third of many of the others and that many people wouldn't believe could be that good. Have you looked at the vodka section in the liquor store lately? Twenty five years ago, the vodka section was 5 ft long. Now it's a whole aisle. Vanilla, Orange, lemon, raspberry, every fruit flavor imaginable. When I saw "Wedding Cake" flavor, I had to leave the store. I can see some master mixologist at a bar or restaurant using something like that in some martini of the week, but there is enough market it has shelf space in a store?

The correct temp is around 190 to 200F. If you pour boiling water into the FP that's the temp you wind up with. Seems any decent drip machine would also have the right temp. Things go bad there mostly when you let the carafe with the coffee in it sit there on warm for hours.

I never tried making cold brew, have had it out a few times. Didn't notice any difference with that either. But I should try making some myself and experiment. IMO the best coffee comes out an espresso machine, which I use sometimes too. That's another whole discussion and debate, eg what's the correct pressure, how to get crema, what kind of roast, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Isn't that the temerature that the McDonald's coffee was set at ? If someone gets bunt on that looks like another good lawsuit. Coffee needs to be no hotter than 125 deg. Might taste like crap, but would make the government happy.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Coffee is best brewed at 200 degrees though it is too hot for serving. SCAA approved coffee machines have to brew close to that. Boiling is actually too hot.

Even though the water is 200 hitting the beans, it decreases by the time it is in the carafe.

What temperature do coffee makers brew at? between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, under-extracted coffee, while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee. (However, cold brew does not need any heat.)

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think it's a little hotter. IIUC McD was 180?190°F. But there's a difference between your kitchen and selling something to people in cars. Plus McD' was hotter than what all the other drive-through places sold and they'd had loads of injuries and complaints

BTW, she would have settled** for having her expenses paid, but McD gave her an insulting offer.

wikip: "Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her daughter's[14] loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000.[17] Instead, the company offered only $800.

Liebeck's attorneys discovered that McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180?190 °F (82?88 °C). Liebeck's attorney argued that coffee should never be served hotter than 140 °F (60 °C), and that a number of other establishments served coffee at a substantially lower temperature than McDonald's. They presented evidence that coffee they had tested all over the city was all served at a temperature at least

20°F (11°C) lower than what McDonald's served.

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000. -- Another example of thinking it's better or cheaper to injure people and then pay them, instead of not injuring them. 700 burns and they didn't learn their lesson. At this stage imo it's not even negligence -- it's intentional. They deserved to pay every dollar they paid, and more.

The government? It's the goverment's obligation to hold a trial when someone makes a prima facie case that a tort has been committed. Trial by jury. Should the government dismiss all lawsuits against corporations? Why do you blame the government?

The jury damages included $160,000[citation needed] to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages. The trial judge reduced the final verdict to $640,000, and the parties settled for a confidential amount before an appeal was decided.[3]

The judge, who represents the government, reduced it from 2.8 million to

640,000. The government permitted appeals and since no one knew for sure what another judge, another representative of the government, would do, they reached an agreement for even less than 640. So why are you accusing the government? Just out of habit?
Reply to
micky

Brewing temp is not the temp you serve it at or even wind up with naturally. After the coffee brews in the FP for 3 minutes, I pour a cup in a mug that is at room temperature, then add some half and half, cream and sweetener. At that point it's at a comfortable temp to start drinking. Even without the cold milk added, just putting it in a room temp mug cools it a good bit. I suppose if you put it in an insulated cup and drank it black, it could be too hot. But seems you have that potential issue with all the commonly used extraction methods.

Reply to
trader_4

This is why I went back to the standard filter coffee maker. Why go to the trouble of making the perfect coffee then drown the flavor in cream and sweeter?

My refrigerator is full of fancy flavored creamers that my wife and daughters use, so the type of coffee doesn't seem important. I do make some cold brew for myself, but i drink that black and don't share.

Reply to
TimR

I can't stand coffee that has been reheated in a microwave. It just doesn't taste the same. Any extra coffee goes in the fridge and gets poured over ice before consumption. One overnight stay in my limit.

My cold brew, on the other hand, goes into mason jars and will keep for up to

2 weeks. I make about 32 oz of concentrate, dilute it 2 parts filtered water to 1 part concentrate and store it mason jars in the fridge. Finishing that amount within 2 weeks is never a problem.

I use Stone Street Cold Brew whole bean and an OXO 32 Ounce Cold Brew Coffee Maker.

Both SWMBO and I drink our coffee black, so the base taste of the coffee really matters. If cream/milk and sugar is added, most of the taste of the actual coffee is disguised/lost, IMO.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have never heated up my cold brew. I prefer to pour it over ice and give it a minute to chill and smooth out. The velvety texture and rich, full flavor has garnered so many compliments. People are always surprised at how smooth it tastes and how nice it feels on their tongue.

I use Stone Street Cold Brew whole bean and an OXO 32 Ounce Cold Brew Coffee Maker. I brew at room temperature for 18 hours, dilute it 2 parts filtered water to 1 part concentrate, then chill immediately. Brewing for 24 hours may be OK in the fridge, but it's way too long at room temperature.

I have a 1 gallon, wide mouth jar that allows me to easily dilute all of the concentrate at one time before transferring the finished product into individual mason jars for storage. Bulk dilution is less work - one and done - and ensures consistency across the separate jars.

Long before cold brew became a major thing (in the US anyway) I used to get the best Iced Coffee at a small coffee shop in NYC. Back in the 70's there was a coffee shop right next to the subway station near my work. They served really good hot coffee so they had a great starting point. They played around a bit and came up with the perfect "extra strong" hot brew that could stand up to the ice. They would brew up a whole bunch of that recipe and store it in their cooler for

24 hours, using those glass Tropicana OJ jars, so it was chilled and ready to be poured over ice the next day.

It was a beautiful sight to see a cooler full of dark, rich coffee in these jars:

Marilyn Manson

The only thing I don't like about French Press is what to do with the coffee grinds that will be good for the environment?

While I love sugar, I've come to realize it's a poison (in essence). But cream? Heavy whipping cream. Oh my. Yummy yummy yummy. Yummy.

But it too is full of calories - so I'm learning to make the perfect black.

I do not understand "fancy flavored creamers", nor do I understand half and half. If the purpose is cream, then heavy whipped cream is the cat's meow.

What good is half and half which is just regular milk in the end result? And as for the fancy flavors, don't most of those turn out to be sugars?

Why not just buy vanilla extract, for example, or cinnamon, instead?

For calorie reasons I am learning to like a black coffee. But it's hard to shake the desire for a great heavy-cream cappuccino!

Reply to
knuttle

Cream would be fine with me but we dont keep it on hand.

In my morning coffee I put coconut oil (bulletproof coffee). It is supposed to rev up the metabolism. that's probably hype but it keeps away hunger most of the day, and i eat my big meal at supper time. I've lost 50 pounds and kept it off 3 years now.

Reply to
TimR

Coffee grinds are coffee grinds no matter the process used to brew the coffee. Do the same as your drip or percolator.

To use coffee grounds as fertilizer, simply sprinkle them onto the soil surrounding your plants. Summary Coffee grounds make great fertilizer because they contain several key nutrients required for plant growth. They can also help attract worms and decrease the concentrations of heavy metals in the soil.

They are acidic so don't over do them. You can compost them too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What does the OXO bring to the process over a 2 quart glass jar?

Reply to
rbowman

I dunno but can I interest you in a very shiny $398 Royal Berkey water filter to go with the $50 OXO cold brew coffeemaker?

bob_4

This works and the results are amazing

Paul

Not today...