How comes Japan can get a free trade deal with the EU

Anyone care to explain ?

whisky-dave

It's been done to make a nonsense of Brexit

Reply to
charles

Because they are the world's third largest economy and make lots of things that Europeans want like cars, semiconductors, hifi, TVs.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well of course it has and its only taken a few years before brexit was voted for.

Do you think the UK can make a free trade deal with Japan so we can supply them with goods tariff free more quickly?

Will it mean its cheaper to export Japanese cars from Japan to the EU than from the UK? If so how long do you think the factories here will last past brexit if we don't have a fee trade agreement with the EU?

Ah well never mind its what you voted for, live with it.

Reply to
dennis

Or equally it dispells and concerns that we can't have a free trade deal with the EU without opening our borders. Nice precedent to set for us eh?

Seems as if it leaves the door open for us to have free trade deals with Japan (if they want it) and with the EU. Wasn't the Common Market about free trade without all the other slush.

Nice precdent for us eh? (Yes I know, just thought I'd make sure the point wasn't missed).

Reply to
AnthonyL

because they haven't "got" a trade deal

all they have done is agree to start negotiations

come back in 2025 for the result of those negotiations

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yep or perhaps Japan and the EU will lso have free movement of people, lets see if that is true.

Well it was back when we joined the EEC it changed when it becamse the EU .

Reply to
whisky-dave

So pretty much the same 7 years to negotiate as the EU has in the past.

Reply to
whisky-dave

But this can't be shirley? After all everyone on here tells us the EU can never do a deal outside itself. As all 27 countries have to agree.

But perhaps good news for the UK. Instead of the Norwegian model, we could adopt the Japanese one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

the Japanese hate letting foreigners in.

It will be them who are the blocking majority here

tim

Reply to
tim...

So the japanses are racists and the EU are willing to have free trade with them. Makes sense.

It's the EU that ads tarriffs .

Reply to
whisky-dave

I didn't have any problems getting a working visa for Japan. And racial prejudice was no more than the sort of thing you get being English in France. It was fun to watch white Americans rant on at dinner about the racist Japs (sic) whilst the black Americans thought it was great - they were just treated like any other foreigner (and better than in the USA).

Canada was far more difficult to get into on a work visa. YMMV

I doubt it. Few westerners can stand the pace of life in Japan. The typical failure rate for expats working there is around 50% per year.

Reply to
Martin Brown

it would seem so :-)

I was referring to the (theoretical) requirement to accept free movement for the removal of tariffs

tim

Reply to
tim...

Well their girls are very cute. Nudge nudge. Seriously though who knows the way of the world. It might be a bit of mutual back scratching going on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Don't you really feel that if we could get every country in the world up to the same standard of living then there would be no problem having world free trade. The only reason for taxes and tariffs are to protect local industries and workers etc. That worked well so far,, not. Where is everything made? China, Ukraine parts of Africa and other bits of Asia, in fact anywhere where the labour is cheap. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

yes I do and that's what I thought the EEC was meant to do for Europe.

You mean local being Europe.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That is only for membership of the EU. Norway and Switzerland do have a similar deal - but not identical.

However free movement within a continent isn't quite the same as free movement to the other side of the world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , whisky-dave writes

It's only an outline deal. "However, few specific details are known and a full, workable agreement may take some time. " In EU terms "some time" means about 5 years+.

Reply to
bert

Japan has already asked top begin unofficial talks with the UK - they can't be official until we leave the EU.

Reply to
bert