How comes Japan can get a free trade deal with the EU

In article , tim... writes

Especially foreign car makers.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Or the Canadian one.

Reply to
bert

So pretty quick then.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Maybe we'll create our own one and then the next country that wants to deal with the EU without being a memeber will have their own one, just how it should be.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fine. The beauty with that is many on here will be dead and buried before such an agreement is reached.

But until then will continue to post about the problems in making such a deal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Something to do with the fact that the EU is entitled to make any deals it likes (and not make any deals it doesn't fancy) according to its political, social and economic priorities. It may even take treachery (perfidious Albion for example) into account. Given that we are probably not in a position to invade or occupy Europe, the EU has no obligation to do what we want, just because we want it. They may even be willing to suffer some economic disadvantage in order to achieve the result they want.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

You could be right, I should know I work for the government.

I think the majority of those doing so will be just like the majority and will do what is right for them as individuals rather than put any country first.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Surely in a free world any couintry should be able to do this.

I think that's mutual.

What if they demand the 100 billion down payment by the end of the month. Auguust another 100 billion oh and we have to buy more German cars. We might also be willing to suffer some economic disadvantage in order to achieve the result we want.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Correction they, (the EU) may even be willing to suffer some economic disadvantage to them (the Europen nations they claim to represent) in order to achieve the result they (teh EU) want. Staying in control with luxury elitits lifestyles.

Never confuse the EU with Europe, as a geographical entity or as te collection of nations and peoples that comprise 'Europe')

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And nothing wrong with that. Provided the majority do actually know what is good for them. Rather than just accepting being told what is best for them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

*You* might be perfectly happy having your standard of living cut drastically for some particular political principle.

My guess is you're rather rare in that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the 100 billion is best for who.

Reply to
whisky-dave

or for 100 billion I might change my mind is that it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not against our current rules of 'democracy' but sort of against the spirit of a community / collective forging towards a better life for everyone?

Many think they do but because few of the same know the actual implications even one step, let alone 5 or 20 beyond the outcome they

*thought* they wanted, or voted for ... they really don't.

The problem there is who would they believe?

The safest thing (under those circumstances) was to have a NOTA option on the poll form to get the government to go away and try to come up with something more tangible.

If the Mrs presents you with two dresses in the shop and asks you to express your preference, you do have the option of rejecting both and / or requesting some more background information (like does she intend to wear either for a job interview, parascending or a club). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well if it doesn't match my shoes & handbag I wouldn't wear it, so she'd have to buy me the appropriate shoes and hand bag to go with the dress.

Reply to
whisky-dave

the result of the referendum proves that the last thing they did is just accept what they ere told was best for them.

tim

Reply to
tim...

In article , T i m writes