How negligent can you get?

A thousand years of history up in smoke because a workman set fire to the thatch.

They were torching some lead, next to a thatched roof, and set fire to it. Surely, even one of Adam's apprentices would have foreseen that risk?

GB

I wonder what the claim limit on the contractor's insurance is?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

GB laid this down on his screen :

Not surprised it caught fire, they were welding the lead..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Come on, this is DIY. Spark from welding equipment? Were they welding or soldering, I wonder.

Reply to
newshound

I suspect "welding equipment" may well reflect an assumption from a journalist who doesn't understand what lead welding/burning or solder wiping involve.

Reply to
Robin

that fire person looks quite happy that it wasn't his religion ...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

On 04 Feb 2022, Rod Speed wrote

I thought you needed a hot-work permit for that sort of work, and assumed it would be like a construction management plan (but dealing with that specific job, rather than the whole project).

Never having the occasion to see a hot-work permit, though, it's quite possible that I'm assuming way too much about what level of detail the permits go into.

Reply to
HVS

saw a fire run arond the building paper in a timber frame house regardless of the fire stop cavity barriers ... had to re-clad the whole house

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'm not Christian (are you?), but I'm still sad that a millennium of history has gone up in smoke.

Reply to
GB

but he wasn't smirk smirk

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

just as well it wasn't a new building

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Especially if they hadn't performed a risk assessment :)

Reply to
alan_m

I've heard that line (or soemthing very similar) in the script of a musical. Blest f I can remember the name of the show,

Reply to
charles

Have you not considered divine intervention? Perhaps someone's god didn't like the thatched roof?

Reply to
Fredxx

Just imagine how Suffolk heritage are going to put the restorers through the wringer.

Some friends of ours lost a reed thatched roof and most of the interior to a *Hall House* in a village high street near Diss. Still being rebuilt after more than 4 years.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It should get the benefit of the ecclesiastical exemption from local authority building consent.

And it's in Norfolk :)

Reply to
Robin

I wonder if they were the same crew who were previously restoring Notre Dame?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Especially since the church was in Norfolk...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same thing. They are all frightened of losing the tourist trade.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

heard it in relation to a classic car crash .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...