Having an Up and Downer with a Chinese supplier

I bought an expensive precision instrument through Amazon and it was damaged when it arrived, with a busted box and a broken lug, which was integral to the cast instrument body. It is a portable instrument, so the lug is necessary for ease of handling. I contacted the supplier who offered me £15 off. After my refusal this was upped to £20, it has reached £30 now, but surprisingly Amazon has not stepped in, although the communications are through their system. I thought if the impact was sufficient to break this metal lug, then the internals could well be affected.

Not sure if customs had inspected it and dropped it, or if if rough handling in the postal system has caused the damage, but it was poorly packed.

Do you think Amazon have a returns agreement in place with all suppliers..?

Reply to
Sysadmin

Have you complained to Amazon? They won't be monitoring the messages between you and the seller. What outcome do you want?

Reply to
GB

They should be monitoring, I has sent messages via Amazon, I have also pressed the return item button, but nothing seems to happen.

Reply to
Sysadmin

What you think they should be doing, and what they are doing ...

There is the Amazon A-Z guarantee.

Ring up Amazon customer services, and get them to deal with it.

Better still, do two things first:

a) Leave a 1 star review b) Tell the Chinese bloke that you have done that and are about to contact Amazon CS to claim under the A-Z guarantee. He may suddenly become far more helpful.

Reply to
GB

This seems to be SOP with Chinese sellers - offer some cash to make you go away.

I don't think any humans at Amazon monitor messages between you and the seller - they are just logged. Amazon customer service can look at them later, but won't unless somebody asks them to.

If the seller is giving you the runaround you can ask Amazon to step in. I'd decide what outcome you want, and then open a live chat with Amazon themselves. I think you can also phone them.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Thanks, I have not had this trouble before always got a good returns service. Amazon do monitor returns activities, because they have intervened on previous occasions and taken over.

Anyway thanks for the Advice.

Reply to
Sysadmin

+1
Reply to
Sysadmin

I'm quite hopeful for you.

Reply to
GB

Theo laid this down on his screen :

They always ask for photos too, even if pictures are not relevant.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Amazon may monitor a claim for a return (which you say is not working) but they won't be monitoring all your correspondence with the vendor.

As GB says, you need to contact Amazon (I prefer phone to chat bots) and ask them to take action. It usually goes quite well once you have done that.

Reply to
Pamela

Thanks, will do.

Reply to
Sysadmin

Not sure - I think it depends on the supplier, and their relationship with Amazon. Returns I've requested have been settled very quickly.

I had a similar situation to yours, but through ebay. The supplier went through a tedious/long-winded negotiation, eventually ending up with a refund

- the the only option (or replace) I would accept.

Reply to
RJH

I recently bought a PoE+ switch on eBay. The seller stated "no returns". It was "untested". When I found that the innards had been soaked in water and had been badly burned I uploaded a couple of photos and filled in the returns form. I immediately got a returns label and sent it back. The refund came within a couple of days. No argument.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

John Walliker formulated on Saturday :

I think the 'no returns' is only valid if you want to return because you don't like it. Faulty goods and missold items are excepted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I have not had any problems in the past when returning stuff to Amazon, but this supplier is dragging out the inevitable return.

Reply to
Sysadmin

I had a problem recently with a coat I ordered off Amazon without noticing the supplier was in China. The coat was ludicrously too small.It came with a free returns promise. I contacted the supplier and told him it would cost about £40 for registered post. He went very quiet. A phone call to Amazon elicited a full refund and keep it. Charity shop got it .I was very impressed with Amazons service

Reply to
fred