Chinese Router

I picked up a cheap Chinese router off of eBay thinking I would use it for the occasions where I need a handheld router. I have an Hitachi router coming for mounting in a router table. However, this router is quite substantial, and the "plunging" take considerable force to plunge it. I am guessing the springs are very stiff, and I certainly wouldn't be able to get any sort of precision having to exert that much force.

I am now considering mounting the Chinese router in the table and keeping the Hitachi for handheld use. The Chinese router seems to have plenty of power.

Since I have no experience with router tables, I was hoping you all good offer some advice. (besides throw away the Chinese router. :))

Reply to
Locutus

But this erm! chinese router have precision machine parts in it to warrent putting it in a table?

Methinks not. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mon, Aug 28, 2006, 6:05pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@h.co.uk (The3rd=A0Earl=A0Of=A0Derby) doth thinketh: But this erm! chinese router have precision machine parts in it to warrent putting it in a table? Methinks not. ;-)

Methinks my cheap router is Chinese. made And I know damn well I've had it in my router table for several years, with no roblems at all.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

Sell it on Ebay? It is unlikely to give you any degree of precision, or last very long.

Reply to
Toller

Remove one of the springs and try it again Pete

Reply to
cselby

Excuse my ignorance, but if it is mounted in a table, and it spins the bit with enough power, what else does it need to be able to do?

Reply to
Locutus

Cut an 1/2" rebate then measure it with a caliper,bet ya it don't measure a true 1/2". :-P

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Stay in tune, without as much as a bit of centrifugal movement. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It has to spin with precision, meaning no wobble of the bit. It need to be able to hold a precise height adjustment. It needs to be able to hold a bit with no slippage rotationally or in height.

Once it does all of that, it should be easy to adjust, easy to change bits.

I've owned one cheap router and learned my lesson. There is a difference in the quality of your work when you use good tools.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
sweetsawdust

By god I thought that was a typo until I looked it up to be sure before smarting off

Had only heard the word used in the 1st sense (osculate, to kiss). Couldn't imagine why anyone would want to do THAT with a router bit, downright DANGEROUS it would be, 'speckly if the gizmo was RUNNING ;-)

Amazing what you can learn here. Even after reading the definitions though, as well as this

I'm still having a hard time picturing how this applies to the motion of a router bit.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

The point is that you didn't pay enough. Or the point is all Chinese stuff is trash. Or the point is (add whatever recent stupidity you have heard).

Talked to a painter and ask him about the possible cause of failure of paint on a neighbors house he was power washing. Very enlightening--the cause was poor prep (maybe) poor paint (didn't know what brand was used) and home owner doing it. He only liked two brands of paint, the rest were poor quality, and he though home owners shouldn't paint. (pretty much the same ideas regardless of specialty expressed by many (most) so called professionals.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I remember as a kid in the early '60's anything made in Japan was considered crap. Not anymore, but the perception (and the reality) didn't change overnight. I have a number of Chinese tools I am pleased with.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

This internet is an amazing thing aint!!! Too bad it don't give a good definition of Chinese tools! Junk.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Some are, some aren't. I have a number that were very reasonably priced & meet my needs quite well.

Reply to
Dan

Did he happen to say who he hires to paint his house?

Reply to
CW

Mon, Aug 28, 2006, 7:01pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@h.co.uk (The3rd=A0Earl=A0Of=A0Derby) doth bet: Cut an 1/2" rebate then measure it with a caliper,bet ya it don't measure a true 1/2". Mayb, maybe not. Doesn't matter, because I don't use it that way anyhow. It "is" plenty accurate for what I "do" use it for, which is the bottom line, otherwiee I'd be using a different router.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

Reply to
sweetsawdust

I agree with all you say, Ed... and point out that there are good, bad, and (kawasucky) ugly Chinese routers... Mac

mac davis