Cheap chinese smartphones

Any views? I don't need a status symbol but my Nokia 1616 is embarrassing my family. Saw a DooGee that seemed to have a good spec.

Seems as good a place as any to post this. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/588618/Nokia-3310-Relaunch-Release-Date
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On 15/02/2017 22:57, Graham. wrote:

Ha Ha I still use the original 3310, looks like I will be bang in fashion again :-) Hang on to anything long enough and will go full circle
I think the new ones have an updated modem so the will work on 3G as 2G is due to be switched off in a couple of years or so I'm led to believe. Brian
--
----- -
On 23:28 15 Feb 2017, ss wrote:

I also know someone who still uses a Nokia 3310 but the battery life is awful and it weighs a ton.
I much prefer the Nokia 6210 which was around the same time. A real classic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6210

Saw a used one yesterday in good nick for ?52!!
Probably still the best business (non-smart) phone ever made.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Nah. That was the 6310i. ;-)
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Sorry, I misread the link. Yes, 6310i was the best without a shadow of a doubt.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:28:10 +0000, Woody wrote:

I have more feelings for the 3210 ?
http://www.mobilephonehistory.co.uk/nokia/nokia_3210.php
Funny how come 2006 Nokia had become *the* manufacturer of choice. And now ....
On 17/02/2017 09:12, Jethro_uk wrote:

I use to visit them regularly and do business with them on a very large scale at the time (their infrastructure division, not handsets).
Their arrogance was breathtaking...
I remember one of my colleagues commenting that they would end up like Maggie Thatcher - no friends and/or visitors (or customers in their case)...

Are they really worth that much? I have a mint one (in a leather case from new) with all the bits here.
--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

At one point they were in demand because they fitted a Mercedes OE car kit, IIRC.
On 16/02/2017 11:18, pamela wrote:

I need a card reader. I want to know what is on the 32Mb card I have just found in my old Nokia 6230.
--
Adam

It's coming back! http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nokia-3310-mwc-2017-re-launch-buy-amazon-price-leaks-details-revealed-a7578941.html
Chris wrote:

Ahem, look up there ^^^^

Ah. Oops. :)
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:23:40 GMT

I don't know what a Nokia 1616 is, I assume some kind of mobile 'phone, but if your family is embarrassed by it, that's their problem, not yours.
--
Davey.

I'm going to have to get a new phone as my Owasys phone for the blind is falling to pieces and its no longer made. I suppose a cheap Android with a decent camera and Talkback and knfb reader will mean its a phone, and a paper print reader as well, which will be very handy as long as hand written letters do not make a come back. Brian
--
----- -

I think they can be excellent or very, very bad.
I have a THL T6C Android 6, cost just under ?40 from ebay, which seems excellent. A Medion from Aldi, which seems to be made by Lenovo, was on offer at ?49.95. Has 16GB rather than 8 of the THL, also excellent.
I use these 2 in the cars.
A Cubot, bought s/h for my wife, seems nice now I have sorted out the weird way it started up in an app. She has it and tries it from time to time but still prefers her old simple clamshell phone.
A Lumia Windows 8.1 mobile phone is actually really nice, far, far better than Windows 8.1 on a PC. They go for little money now. Shame about the lack of useful apps.
A "Timmy" Chinese phone with one rotating camera would be excellent if only the registration of the screen were accurate. I have not found any way of calibrating the screen so that the letter you hit is the one that appears on the screen. Another older Chinese phone's battery swelled until the back was dislodged. No-one locally could supply a replacement battery and they all looked scared when shown it. The phone won't do anything without the battery.
For day to day phoning, I usually use a s/h Blackberry Z10, which can be set up to run many Android apps. I really like it, but battery life is a problem.
--
Bill