Feds: Gut homes with Chinese drywall

"NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Thousands of U.S. homes tainted by Chinese drywall should be completely gutted, according to new guidelines released Friday by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. "

HeyBub

Sounds like the only solution. Is Obama paying for it?

Reply to
keith

It sure does not sound like the feds will be doing anything. FEMA has said it was not a disaster or an emergency by their definition. Maybe HUD will stand up. Unfortunately the blame really lies with the chinese, they won't do anything and we won't make them.

I do know a guy who has rehabbed a few of these and the gut and rebuild seems to be the way to go. He was doing it for about $10 a square foot because everyone was out of work.

Reply to
gfretwell

It happened under Bush's reign. Should Bush pay for it?

Reply to
Bob F

It doesn't matter which administration is blamed. That's just a silly comment. The real question is who pays for the rebuilding? Basically there are a couple of options: A: The chinese manufacturers - Which I seriously doubt this will happen. B. The US people - basically we'll pay more in taxes or go deeper in debt if the government pays C. The actual homeowners - Umfortunately they may have to absorb the cost.

Personally, i don't "A" will pay for it and I hope that "B" doesn't have to pay for it. I'm getting tired of having to pay more taxes or have the country go deeper in debt to pay everyone else. I'm willing to pay my share, but I think everyone should pay theirs as well.

Reply to
rlz

Kinda sloppy reporting by the AP (as usual). Before gutting one's house, a simple chemical test of the drywall should be done first.

Reply to
mike

Or D. The builder and/or home warranty companies (unless the homeowner purchased the materials separately, which is doubtful). To me it's no different than any other structural deficiency (whether caused by, say, defective floor trussses, or bad framing). Let the builder/insurance/warranty company go after *their* suppliers/importers down the line.

Hmmm, scary thought -- if the drywall corrodes your floor truss plates, it could be very dangerous...

Josh

Reply to
Josh

If you actually have a real drywall house you won't need some fancy test. You will know. This is a compendium of pictures I took here in Florida with the houses my friend repaired

The reality is if you are not in Florida or Louisiana (and a few isolated cases in Virginia) you probably don't have chinese drywall. I bet it would all trace back to a couple ships that landed in Tampa or Miami and spread out from there. The bulk of it got used in Florida but in those days they were desperate for drywall and someone may have trucked a load somewhere else but the confirmed cases are pretty rare anywhere but Florida and Louisiana

Reply to
gfretwell

That's where the fault should lie (and would if it were a US company involved), though the US is too spineless to force the issue.

What's a trillion or two more?

Likely.

Don't worry, be happy. Our grand children will pay for our party.

Reply to
krw

Once you bankrupt the suppliers, where do you turn?

Nails.

Reply to
krw

The builders like Lennar who are still solvent are doing a commendable job of making their owners whole. They are moving the homeowner into another house, fixing theirs and moving them back on the warranty. The builders who are insolvent are beyond the court since they are bankrupt.

Not a problem. Aluminum, steel and wood is unaffected. This is the torsion spring assembly of the garage door

is a set of brass screws right next to that door.
It only affects copper or brass and the blackening is actually "skin deep". Once you remove the contamination and wipe off the black scale, the copper is shiny under it. Our electrical inspectors say if you clean the copper or just strip back a little until you get clean copper you are good to go. These are some pictures of devices and copper wire from a real drywall house.

gfretwell

I suppose they see the repair work as stimulus.

Questions: someone here said a few months ago that USA made drywall also had the same problem? Gypsum is calcium sulfide. I then speculated the wood chips produced methane and formaldehyde, reacting to release sulfur. Is there an alternate hypothesis? WHy did they add woodchips? Someone here also noted that Chinese drywall had 3% asbestos while USA mandates were under 1%. Anything more detailed than that newsclip?

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at
*+-Hmmm, scary thought -- if the drywall corrodes your floor truss *+-plates, it could be very dangerous...

Thanks to termites brought by Chinese navy stockpiled in New Orleans during WW2, insurers won't cover wood frames south of Mason Dixon, mandating steel studs (sheet metal C-sections).

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Does the sulfur come from the Gypsum itself or another additive? I am assuming the latter because that is what was written here a few months ago.

THis reminds me of the 1970s when folks were spraying foam between their walls and it leached formaldehyde.

I don't get how when we buy "gypsum" and they add all sorts of other things (wood chips), supposedly to make it better, but don't tell you except in the fine print.

THe next thing we'll find out the "wood" we buy isn't really "wood".

Yeah, yeah, I know the stuff you get out of the ground isn't chemically pure either. BUt this is ridiculous.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

The solution is simple.........

NUKE CHINA

Reply to
frigidaire

You need to do some research of the issue, especially for FL homeowners before making such an erroneous statement.

Reply to
Ron

Sorry, gotta call BS on this one. Every year on my trip to Lake Charles, in SW Louisiana, I get to see the inside of several residential new construction sites. All wood. Yes, termites are a problem down there, and almost all new construction is on slab, due to high water table. So, pre-treated wood, and final landscaping always includes termite treatment and a ring of those little tell-tale bait boxes. But house is still framed in wood.

Reply to
aemeijers

If the suppliers DO go bankrupt, isnt' the business sold as part of the bankruptcy and then someone new becomes the supplier?

As to where the home warranty companies turn, they may take a loss, which they will spread out over all the other houses they warrant, and over years to come or years past (by selling assets). Or they may go bankrupt, which would put it back on the homeowner.

Reply to
mm

When my 18 month old grandson starts to cry, I tell him "Don't cry now, wait to you see your share of the debt." -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Well, it depends. If someone buys the bankrupt business as a business, they may or may not acquire the liabilities. Most likely not. It will depend on the deal worked out with the creditors. Or the bankrupt business could be closed, whatever assets they have sold and the proceeds divided up among the creditors.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson