OT: Electric car batteries

Page 3 of 11
On 06/26/2016 10:50 PM, rbowman wrote:

Those who can, do; those who can't, manage.
On 6/27/2016 4:00 AM, Tad Moore wrote:

Make the laziest guy in the shop a manger. He knows the shortcuts to get it done.
I manage a small company with 20 employees. I have done every job here so no one can BS me. Fortunately, some others are better at certain jobs than I am.

It's a Physics degree, which does mean I'm smart. But it's useless as there are fuck all jobs in that field.

Nobody should go to University, training on the job is far more useful.
--
The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.

On 06/27/2016 08:08 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Taking a degree in a field with fuck all jobs is smart?

Don't know how he even passed high school physics.

Says the moron who claimed to killfile me.
--
A fat girl served me in McDonald's at lunchtime. She said "sorry about the wait". I said, "Don't worry, you'll find a way to lose it eventually"

I took a degree in the field I was good at.
--
A fat girl served me in McDonald's at lunchtime. She said "sorry about the wait". I said, "Don't worry, you'll find a way to lose it eventually"

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 15:08:08 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

The most important thing I learned when I earned my Honours Physics B.Sc. is that there are a lot of people a lot smarter than I am.
I had already learned in secondary school (and elementary as well) that telling people "I'm smart" is a sure way to turn people away.

The first job interview I attended resulted in four permanent job offers.
I did have a Minor in Computer Science as well. At that time (1980), the job placement counsellors said there were several dozen well-paying entry level jobs for each person qualified to fill such a job.
I found out (as you say) that job openings for physicists are mostly filled by Masters & Doctors, so starting in 3rd year I took extra courses and had a 'school' term between my 3rd & 4th year in order to qualify for the minor degree.
I ended up providing computer support to physicists. They much preferred having someone who could understand both their arcane craft *and* the art of computing.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

And 10 times as many who didn't even finish school.

Snap (ish). My first job was a computer tech at the place I'd applied for an electronics tech. I got the computer job based on my hobbies in my CV.
--
Flanders and Swann on MOT tests:
Our car is getting a bit old, it'll have to be tested soon.
On 06/28/2016 12:17 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

When I interview programmers I look at what they've done. Someone that's written an Android app on their own is worth more to me than a BS in Computer Science that's been hanging out in Mom's cellar playing video games. Now, if they're writing video games, that's another story.
rbowman wrote:

I have a touring Harley that has that same effect on SportyBike riders - and for the same reason .
--
Snag

On 06/25/2016 08:04 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The only bike I haven't messed with yet is the V-Strom that does pretty well out of the box. I've got RaceTechs in the Sporty and Ricors in the DR. Both get the job done but the Ricors don't require drilling out the damper tube holes. The 15" shocks on the Sporty and the forks move up about an inch in the triple trees gives it a rather odd stance. I don't have to worry about it blowing over when it's on the kickstand. Trading the Dunrocks for real tires helped too. I do have to say those stock Dunlops got more miles than any bike tire I ever ran. I got 15K on the rear that's two or three times better than usual.
On 06/24/2016 03:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sounds like the family picnics when I was a kid. The Quebec Frog branch liked their beer warm; the German branch went for well chilled. At least until the ice all melted but at that point in the game, who cares?
On 06/23/2016 06:16 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

A round trip from here to the next largest city in the state would be about 700 miles. I don't like those big cities though -- that one has over 100,000 people.

So in your case battery swapping is even more ideal.
--
The true mark of a civilized society is when its citizens know how to hate each other peacefully.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:53:43 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

He's have to drive up to a prairie dog hole to swap batteries, and they'd have to bring recharged ones in by pony express because the nearest power line is 150 miles away.

3rd world country.
--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"

Get used to it. Btittain just voted itself that future.

Why on earth would any sensible person think that having a second set of loony politicians throwing rules at us is a good idea?
Why on earth would any sensible person think that being in a little private group of countries improved trade and business in any way shape or form? We trade with countries outside the EU just fine.
--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?

On 06/25/2016 07:49 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yeah, but now you have to renegotiate all those treaties that were part of the EU package. Also, you become somewhat less attractive to US concerns since you're no longer the front porch of the EU.
Dublin is already trolling the waters in the City of London. "We're still in the EU and we have some really fine offices for let." Meanwhile Sinn Fein is telling the Prods in the Counties "You're screwed. Sure you don't want to dial back your religious crap and join the Republic?"
The canny Scots included an escape clause in their first referendum -- "If the Brits screw up substantially, we'll have a second referendum." The clause was triggered and they're getting ready to print the ballots.