Electric cars a step nearer mainstream?

"R.C. Payne" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I was thinking more in terms of the vehicles we were discussing in this thread - cars and light vans.

Trolley buses and railway vehicles are significantly different, in that they don't store the electrickery on board - and have a much, much higher initial purchase cost than a Ford Focus. Because of that, they're typically refitted several times over a working life - diesel or electric.

Reply to
Adrian

A nanocentury is conveniently about 3 seconds.

Reply to
Chris Shore

Irrelevant. Taking the power from an overhead line or battery is irrelevant indeed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , at 13:58:45 on Wed,

4 Jun 2008, Adrian remarked:

Outside museums?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Old Mondeos are - the clutch is done in such a stupid way for maintenance that the cost of the job prematurely ends the life of many of them. I'm sure it saved 50p on the production line, though...

Reply to
PCPaul

One attoparsec/microfortnight is very close to 1 inch/second. HP used to use it in their pen plotter manuals...

Reply to
PCPaul

Typical HP ... couldn't write software even in them days ... some plotters worked in inches, some in tenths of an inch, some in millimetres. And the same model could be configured different, and it depended on whether there was an R in the month and so on. It was a complete waste of time trying to work out what units to use for any particular plotter, you just had to plot something and see what happened, then adjust your (probably FORTRAN) software. So the first time you used a new plotter it was pot luck whether your picture came out at 25.4 times the size you actually wanted: glad to see that instead of spending their time sorting that out they were pissing around with crap like "attoparsec/microfortnight".

Just like their modern printer drivers, where instead of making the things actually *work* they spend time on 3D photorealistic animated hourglasses.

Reply to
Tim Ward

It *was* nice hardware though. When we were fixing scopes and signal generators the first thing we did was hose them down to get the dust out. Next morning, turn them on, often that was all that was needed.

They don't build 'em like that now...

Reply to
PCPaul

That's the trouble with HP ... my latest printer is an HP because the hardware is good, I've decided I've just got to live with the crap software.

Reply to
Tim Ward

Yes but then existing infrastructure (the motorway network) would become somewhat redundant or only used by the long distance hauliers which would still be polluting and emitting diesel lorries. Better to get freight back onto the railways and leave the motorways clear for light electric cars.

Of course salesmen and the like might have to get used to not having their own personal company car perk, but that's their tough luck.

Reply to
magwitch

Is it a big laser, or a home laser/inkjet?

The big lasers are good - especially on the network - you need *no* HP software to make it work.

For small stuff I've moved over to Canon. Nicer, quieter, cheaper consumables.

Reply to
PCPaul

Home inkjet. Networked. But because it's a "home" product I had to jump through all sorts of undocumented hoops to get the software to install on a server operating system. They thought they'd prevented this, but at least they're crap at software, so their attempt at prevention was somewhat half-arsed, so I got it to work :-)

Reply to
Tim Ward

No: usually peak discharge rate it seems.

Why is the used value so low?

It wouldn't be because teh whole powertrain is only good for 200K and therefore the resale value at 190K is effectively zero?

Er..Fiat?

those either cost pence to fix, or they are unavoidable anyway. At 25k miles most cars need a new set of tyres. iN that time they've been through 2 services which cost about te sme as that set of tyres.

They probably alse need brakes relining., Electric cars with regen braking should last at least three times that.

Stock LED lights on them and the bulbs wont blow.

So your figures are as usual, slanted by the nature of the case you are tryinng to make. Why I have no idea. Perhaps your wife just left you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fine if the battery compartment is sealed and the air ducts are high.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought he said he did 600 miles in one day (his tank range) without being anwyhere near any electricity for the whole nonstop trip. That was the point thet his skoda or whatever it is could do what the US military cant. Drive 600miles nonstop completely outsie of civilistaion,

Well I know that neither John'o'groats nor lands end are civilised, but the places in between are. More or less. Also to do 600 miles in a day requires a tad more speed than will give ypu that sort of fuel economy, or illegally long driving hours.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No rest stops? single driver?

Ive done 24 hours with minimal breaks, and similar distances..but non stop cannot be done. You have to put in several short breaks and probably at least half an hours naps.

I've been driven new york to loas angeles nonstop on a greyhound,but there were always rest stops and the driver changed every 8 hours..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But not unachievable.

Depends on the market. They've all but vanished from my niche market. Its cheaper to build without..overall cost with a sensorless controller is similar to brushed. Sensored are mre expensive, but they are fairly mandatory for hight torque starting.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Trouble is elfin safetey wont let you run a continous nose to tail train at 56mph from london to birmimngham like the M1 is.

Yu get more bang for the buck with roads. And more accidents.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's only 10 hours at 60 average - easy on motorways, even including fuel stops.

Reply to
Clive George

Fuel stops? My 55l tank will do that distance at 60 mph without a stop.

Reply to
dennis