SOT: electric vehicle cars

I assume domestic chargers for electric vehicles are single phase. If you had access to a three phase supply could you get a better charger?

Reply to
Scott

if someone made one, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. 22kW 3 phase chargers are readily available. Not normally used for domestic situations, but if you happen to have 3 phase connected to your property then go for it.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I've only got 2 phases

Reply to
charles

What - old and decrepit?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I don't know but I see common sense has prevailed in the us and below a certain speed electric vehicles have to now make a noise by law to aid the pedestrian and cyclists hear them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The buses in Oxford Street sound like a burglar alarm

Reply to
charles

I may be old - but I still have my crepit.

Reply to
charles

Adding a "noise" was suggested years ago. One question was what sound. My thought was "an engine sound" as we are all conditioned to know that that means a vehicle and possible danger.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That does sound reasonable, but do we really want to listen to the sound of IC engines for years after we have stopped using them in road vehicles? We have a chance now to decide on somehting less unpleasant.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Big slow marine diesel can sound pleasant IMO , or the sound of a Rolls Royce Olympus could garner attention , anything* but a boring bleeper sound like a dustcart reversing.

  • though reintroducing the crazy frog ring tone as a warning sound would be an exception.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The Deltic has a pleasing tone.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I?ve often thought that the gentle hissing and puffing of a steam engine would be nice around town for slow speed driving.

If we?ve sticking to nice sounding diesels, I do rather like this one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I am sure that they will be fully downloadable, like ringtones

The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

Pulse jets. Generally 130dB+

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Renault Zoes emit a sound like an alien spaceship below 18mph.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Awake and asleep?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was looking at the Zoe. It seems there is one with a small capacity battery but if you want the big battery you have to go up the range and pay for stuff that might be completely unnecessary. Then there is one with a more efficient motor which cannot be rapid charged and one that can be rapid charged with a less efficient motor.

On that basis none is 'fit for purpose'. Will see what happens with the next model.

Reply to
Scott

Maybe peole should be allowed to selct their prefered sound a bit lijke ring-tones can you imagine how annoying and confusing it could become.

Is it a plane, a bird or a steam engine, or T i m droning on about left and right brainers.

Reply to
whisky-dave