OT. Electric Vehicle Sales

The used ones lose value quicker than their gasoline powered counter parts. That really isn't a surprise.

Dean

Perhaps a new business model for EVs is in order :

Quick-swap the batteries in automated robotic depots ! : get credit for any remaining energy in the used battery : batteries are re-charged at safe and efficient industrial facilities that use off-peak and/or renewable energy : the car owner doesn't suffer the expense of battery ownership < end-of-life replacement ; re-sale devaluation ; etc .. >

John T.

Reply to
hubops

When has a rental of anything for long term use ever saved money? The suppliers have to make $ somewhere.

Reply to
Bob F

You need to find better sources of information other than propoganda websites.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In general, I agree. But if you think of it ~ like cell phones -

" We'll give you a FREE phone if you sign this 2 year contract."

" We'll own the batteries if you sign this 5 year energy contract. "

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Battery changing stations are a really bad idea. Inventive, but still a bad idea. This guy goes into it.

EV Madness: The BONKERS world of robotic BATTERY SWAPPING

Here is another video with the same conclusion:

EV Depreciation is BRUTAL

Not really .. he _avoids_ going into it - providing no actual technical arguments at all - just his blah-blah bluster. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Then I wouldn't have to have a charger 100 feet from my house, and it could be uicker then filing the tank.

Reply to
micky

Lets see

1) tremendous amount of underground real estate needed

2) Need its own coal fired power plant to supply all the energy needed

3) one cell in one power pack fails and you have destruction and environmental catastrophe of biblical proportion.

Have I missed anything?

They are a really bad idea.

I imagine rebuilt batteries will be available eventually.

Reply to
Dean

BEV are so dangerous, I see them being banned in a few years

Dean

Batteries will change too. There is a solid state that is supposed to last 300,000 miles.

EV is young and we will see big changes in the next few years.

Reply to
Ed P

Kaboom!

Some growing pains.

The man's EV just decided on its own to keep moving. That wouldn't necessarily be because of being battery powered. The EV apparently doesn't have a big red throw switch for off or driver just didn't think to use it.

Reply to
Dean

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Pretty much everything.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Recycling lead acid batteries is relatively easy. Back in the '90s there were two companies in the LA area that processed them. I've hauled batteries as far away as Colorado to tge plants. I assume there are other recyclers in the east. The plants aren't pleasant places. The workers wore hazmat suits and you didn't get out of the truck.

An interesting quirk is a load of brand new batteries is a hazmat load. A load of leaking, semi-discharged batteries is not a hazmat load. I have a feeling EV batteries will always be a hazmat load regardless.

As far as 'rebuilt' batteries I don't think that is ever in the cards any more than current lead acid batteries are rebuilt. I remember reading about rebuilding batteries in materials from the 1920's and there appears to be a book available:

but the science.org article doesn't sound hopeful about disassembly.

Reply to
rbowman