Electric vehicle manufacturing produces about 23% more emissions than the production of a gas-powered car.

Have you actually read the article pin brain?

and I quote (to save you the bother) :-

"
  1. Electric vehicle manufacturing produces approximately 23% more emissions than that of a gas-powered car. (Green Car Congress)

The US air pollution statistics have revealed that the bigger the vehicle that?s being manufactured, the larger the battery. Or, in other words, the greater the emissions.

Fortunately, due to battery recycling, the decarbonizing of electrical grids, and an increase in battery energy density, emissions from battery manufacturing could be reduced by a whopping 49%.

What?s more, both BMW and Tesla encourage their battery-recycling programs.

They state that even though battery production emissions may be high during production, in the long run, emissions from electric vehicles as a whole are lower than gas-powered cars. "

Reply to
Andy Bennet

OOI does that include the CO2 produced when the electricity used to re-charge the batteries is generated ?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The point of electric cars is to sell more cars.

And keep German car workers in a job..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And I'd expect them to improve as production is scaled up and methods evolve.

Finding 'gross impact' seems to be tricky. Very rarely see non-fuel particulates discussed too.

Reply to
RJH

And Austrian car workers building Jaguar iPace's

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

As an aside to that, what happened to hydrogen / fuel-cell cars?

Now we have all this spare electricity (to charge EV's <g>) why couldn't we use it to electrolyse seawater instead?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought it was down to how practical it was to make hydrogen in quantity at local 'fuel station' It;s quite a bit of intrastruction for a garage to have enough capacity to my hydrogen on the spot. And then storing it safely.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Cost (and ruinously inefficient compared to just charging a battery).

Doesn?t mean to say that it won?t have a place, but economics will determine that it?ll be used only where battery charging isn?t a practical option.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But what is its life expectancy against that and the generation of the electricity over that period? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I guess that's not also factoring the cost of the damage / pollution done mining the lithium (and as long as it lasts) versus a good supply of fully renewable seawater?

So no other factors ever come into these decisions?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

This must be a day that ends in "y".

Part of the problem, is the analysis is a moving target, and some of the assumptions are years out of date.

"The 2017 study claimed that the production of EV batteries emits around 150 and 200 kg of CO2 per kWh. However, a new study, summarized in a recent press release from IVL, showed the amount of CO2 emissions from battery production has been reduced to between 61 and 106 kg of CO2 equivalent per kWh."

Another variable, is the type of batteries used. The Model 3 produced for the Chinese market uses lithium iron phosphate (fairy lamp) batteries, while the North America version uses lithium cobalt (laptop) batteries. And maybe this suits the domestic battery production industry.

Paul

Reply to
Paul