hose bib handle, more than one design

A friend has a garden faucet / hosebib with a broken handle.

Is there any chance this faucet won't work with the usual handle?

Normally this would seem like a no-brainer but the house is 40 years old and the handle seems like it might be different from all the others I've seen.

It only had three spokes, all of which are broken now, and there is no recess where the screw goes in.

And he feels he has to turn all the water off to the house to unscrew the handle, and he's making noises about taking off the big packing nut and taking all that to a plumbing supply house. I think all he has to do is undo the screw and wiggle off the handle, but if there was more than one style 40 years ago, I don't want to lead him wrong.

Google searches have gotten me nowhere, but maybe I searched on the wrong words.

Reply to
mm

Could I just use a simple metal shower or sink faucet handle, instead?

AS long as it doesn't have a blig plastic skirt like some do?

[...]

You are probably right about handle removal. Take it off, match it up with a replacement at Ace Hardware or wherever and you should be in business Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

And removing the handle will not cause water to run (unless you open the faucet while working on it). The worst case scenario is that you would not find a replacement handle and he would have to replace the faucet (unlikely).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

your pipe may be copper and the sillcock is a sweat connection with solder. maybe it's galvanized pipe and the device is threaded. FIP means female iron pipe thread standard, usa, usually 1/2" or 3/4" inside diameter pipe. search for sillcock or loose key hose bibb at:

buffalobill

He thinks he'll have to open the faucet, but after reading the replies, I think he has a standard handle, and I remember I might even have a spare, probably that I found in a bunch of small mostly plumbing parts, and screws, nails, anchorss etc. in a broken tool box in a trash barrel in an industrial park.

Or I'll buy one, and drop by and fix it for him.

You're right. Thanks to you and Joe and Buffalobill.

Reply to
mm