How to remove Kohler shower faucet handle

Hi, I have the Kohler "Purist=AE Rite-Temp=AE pressure-balancing bath and shower faucet trim with push-button diverter and cross handle". I need help removing the handle and faceplate. There is no center screw in the handle, but set screw on the handle stem which I assume holds the handle in place. My set screw is missing but I still cannot remove the handle. Can anyone help? Sue

Reply to
sue.chandler

Corrosion of the stem can make it difficult to remove the handle. Hard water?

-- Oren

Oren

Yes, hard water. The faucet has only been in for 6 months though. Can I try to bang it off?

Sue

Reply to
sue.chandler

Try a solution to dissolve to build up. Try vinegar/water spray or what you might already have.

As much as I like to bang on things; in this case I would try to wiggle it off.

-- Oren

Oren

Stupid question, I know, but does the water have to be turned off ? (At my house the only water shut-off is in the well...)

Sue

Reply to
taos_sue

Soak/spray with CLT or Lime Away. Get a water softener.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Not at all. leave the water on (chuckle, chuckle)

Reply to
Abe

If you are only taking the handle off, I don't think so.

BTW, any chance the set screw is there but it's covered by soap and soap scum etc.?

Reply to
mm

I am only taking off the handle and the back plate in order to re- tile. There is no set screw, but I do see where it should go. I should mention that this faucet has been in a few months but has rarely been turned on (guest bath). There is no soap scum of hard water residue. Am I right that the handle should just pull off?

Reply to
taos_sue

Please don't be insulted, but I have to ask if you are certain what the term "set screw" denotes.

A set screw does not have a head larger than the threaded hole it's screwed into, and most often in faucet handles it has an "Allen head" recess in it's accessable end.

So, just in case you see some threads in the "empty" screw hole and assume there's no thing in there, don't be positive about that until you try to engage a possible set screw with an appropriate sized Allen wrench.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

YES! Thank you. The set screw was tiny - and way inside. You saved me a plumber visit.

Sue

Reply to
taos_sue

As a fan of "Will and Grace" reruns, all I can say is:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Well, I don't know- I have no experience with one-handeld faucets

--but another thing you can do is go look at a Kohler facuet at a hardware store adn see how it is made, or better yet, read the instructinos that come with it. Probably all models are simlar, or find close to your model.

Reply to
mm