Right glue for faucet handle cap?

The faucet handles in our house all have little white caps in the center covering the screw that holds the handle in place. They look like porcelain, but might be plastic, and have the words "Hot" or "Cold".

One of them fell off. They appear to have been glued in place. The residual glue looks like varnish. It's light brown, transluscent, and brittle.

What glue should I use to put it back on? It needs to be something that can be broken to get the caps off if the handle ever needs to be removed.

What glue did they use origianlly?

Can I use silicon sealer or something like that?

Reply to
LurfysMa

That would be my thought, some clear silicone might be the ticket.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I just called the plumber. He said that there should be a little metal ring that holds them in place. They just snap in and out. No glue. I checked the other faucets in the house. as far as I can tell, they are all glued in. On closer inspection, some of them were kinda sloppily done. Glue oozing out the side.

Reply to
LurfysMa

I'm surprised that your caps have been glued in. In my experience they are just a pressure fit so that they can be removed to replace the faucet washers, stems, cartridges, etc.

Any type of adhesive is going to leave a mess and make them harder to remove.

Are these antique faucet handles?

LurfysMa wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

IMHO:

Depends on whether there is a screw that needs access later. If so, I would use something very mild, like a tiny drop of waterproof elmers. If I didn't want to removed it later, I would use something like gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is some tough stuff, I've found out myself.

Now this is just guessing, you might get way with just snapping it back in place with a little nail polish too. :D

tom @

Tom The Great

Not exactly antique, but 30-40 years old.

Reply to
LurfysMa

Try Liquid Nails.

I am stuck with a bath tub top edge mount American Standard (large spa type tub unit) with through the tub mounted faucets that have this problem.

Under the cap (glue fastened) is the screw for removing the handle body and faucet core assembly. I have to pry the cap off each time to get to the screw. Not a good design. Tub is 14 years old installed when house was new construction.

I use Liquid Nails to re glue it. The glue holds, and flexible enough to get loose when require. My circumstance has no water in the area of concern (unless there is a leak).

Morenuf

Reply to
morenuf

Yep, anything adhesive is a previous homeowner fix. If try a silicone, don't use much or you'll have a heck of a time if need to remove it.

You might take one to the hardware store and see if by chance you can find a generic replacement in the specialty fittings section of the plumbing section. I've seen various types, but all that I've actually had had a spring "fingers" on the back side. These are pretty prone to eventually breaking so there is a sizable supply of replacements for them. For your style, don't know but would think it worth a look.

And, of course, if there is a "real" plumbing supply place handy that does sell over the counter as well as wholesale, your chances may go up significantly.

Reply to
dpb

replying to LurfysMa, Brad wrote: If your cap is not the "snap-in" kind, a little plumbers putty (available for $1-3 at your local Home Depot or Lowes) should work just fine to hold the cap there. There are several types of index caps. Anyone who suggests liquid nails or silicone or any serious "adhesive" glue is ignorant of the fact that someday someone will have to remove those caps and those adhesives will require damaging the faucet to completely remove those indexing caps. If you have no need to ever remove the cap (like if there is no screw head under it) then you may use silicone or adhesive caulk if you like. If you have the one with the snap-in ring - you shouldn't use any glue or adhesive there at all - unless the ring that snaps in is broken - then see above. If your faucet starts leaking you will need to get under the index cap to possibly replace a washer or cartridge at some point in the future!

Reply to
Brad

replying to Brad, Michael wrote: Well, shows what you know. I have American Standard with white porcelain caps. Using a light, flexible glue does not work. The operator turns the handle and often touches the cap as they turn. A light glue will not hold. Even a hard glue, epoxy, will often not work because the interior is plastic. I have tried for years, literally, to find something that will keep my wife from twisting the cap off as she turns on the water.

Reply to
Michael