Emissions from electric storage heaters

We live in a new build duplex (3 years old) which has dimplex electric storage heaters. All our walls and ceilings have a black 'soot / charcol' dust substance. It is that bad you can write your name in it! Inside the heaters also have this black dust. We believe the heaters have caused this. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Dimplex told us it is because we light candles in the home even though neighbours have the same heaters and light candles and they dont have this. Other neighbours who have the same problem dont even use candles! Would really appreciate if anyone who has experienced this could let us know. Many thanks Louise

Reply to
louise

It is almost universal above any fixed heat producing device including wall lights. The heat causes air to rise, the air carries dust and traffic fumes which deposit on the walls. With lamps it can take years to show up, with heaters much less time. The more the heater is used the worse the problem becomes. Radiators have the same effect but as they are often positioned under windows you don't notice it.

The dust in the heater is similarly just airborne dust which has deposited as air flows through it. If you live in urban pollution the problem is exacerbated by the dirty air surrounding you.

Candles make things even worse by raising the pollution level and providing nice sticky fumes for the dirt to adhere to.

It is not a fault with the heater.

Reply to
Peter Parry

On 6 Jun 2006 13:47:43 -0700 someone who may be "louise" wrote this:-

Then you must live in a very polluted location. Generally one can only see this discolouration on the wall fairly near the heater. Shelves over the heater will deflect it away from the walls.

This dust has come into the heater from the air passing through it. Some of it has landed on the inside, the rest has continued through the heater.

Reply to
David Hansen

Reply to
louise

Perhaps they have less airborne dust - maybe they don't open their windows as often, or have a more efficient vacuum cleaner, or have an ioniser.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Article from an American mag here;

can generate a lot of soot. The convection air currents passing through the heaters are causing the air & any soot to impinge on the walls.

The soot may also be from dust settling on the heater elements in summer & getting burnt off at the start of the heating season.

Reply to
Aidan

All will have some - but it may not become noticeable for some years. Possibly they have been redecorated in the last year or so, possibly they are a bit better placed not to pick up so many vehicle fumes. Candles contribute quite a lot of carbon, particularly if they are used to mask cigarette smoking. A combination of smokers and candles burned for several hours a day to mask the smell will produce quite heavy discolouration in a few months whilst a similar house with non-smokers and no candles may not have noticeable marking for several years.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I have lived in my house for just 1 month and the whole house needs to be re decorated due to this - surely after 1 month and 1 candle burning for 2hrs a night over Christmas this shouldn't happen

Reply to
caroline

I'm in a brand new house 1 month and in the middle of nowhere so no pollution - need answers the place is disgusting even in my food cupboards and fridge

Reply to
caroline

Candles are the big problem if it coincides with a lack of dusting and vacuum cleaning, or if there is a lot of cooking based on frying.

The heaters are not responsible for the air bourne pollution in your house.

Reply to
alan_m

Generally, it will take around nine months to one year for a new home to dry out. You need to open windows to create an airflow airflow or use a dehumidifier to reduce the chances of mould occurring. Perhaps the black staining is actually mould!

Reply to
alan_m

Why are you replying to a 15-year old post?

There are no emissions from electric storage heaters.

Reply to
Tim Streater

None in the house to be exact. The emissions are all from the power station chimneys.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

.....and from manufacturing wind turbines.

Reply to
jon

Yes electric storage heaters are merely heating elements inside of bricks that heat up then give off their heat after the electricity has gone off, Even one candle seems to be a bit of a red herring. More likely to be damp in a new house with drying plaster, etc and mould growing on it, though I thought these days the stuff had a fungicide added, or maybe it was el cheapo. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Didn't read the original question because of HoH -- but a deposition of black dust on walls can be an unlucky combination of volatile plasticisers (from paint, furniture, plastics, etc.), heating, and volatile organic compounds.

More (but not much) to be googled by "fogging", "black magic dust", and "black dwellings phenomenon".

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Hi Louise I have exactly the same problem and I too never use candles

Reply to
Madeleine

You are a bit late after 16 years, it's likely that has killed her by now.

Reply to
Jamesy

It's dust dirt in the atmosphere that is directed to ceiling and top of walls by the heat convection - possibly sticking better from airborne fat/oil fumes from too much frying of food.

Reply to
alan_m

Since we cannot see what the thread was about due to the stupid Home Owners Club interface I'm not surprised whe replied to it. The interface is junk. I've had storage heaters for a lot longer than that with no ill effects at all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff