What material are the gas burners on the hob made of?

As per subject, what material are the gas burners on the hob made of?

SWMBO has burnt something onto one and wants me to clean it off. I'd usually start with a soak in Soda Crystals but that's a no-no for aluminium. It feels light and is non-magnetic.

It's a Russell Hobbs and the only help in the manual is to use a metal surface cleaner - suggestions?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Our gas hob (now replaced with an easy to wipe clean induction hob, as my wife is disabled and has very weak wrists and finger joints) had "chromed" aluminium burners and enamelled cast-iron caps. We didn't bother about maintaining the finish and just shoved them in the dishwasher - but it does strip the chroming.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The burner bits that you are describing are made of some sort of aluminium based "pot metal" (mine are not chromed). I'd be surprised if even concentrated washing soda attacked them at a significant rate (but you could always try one and keep an eye on it for signs of reaction).

Reply to
newshound

If its not plated, simple abrasion is a good way to simply remove the waste material and then slightly abrade 'what lies beneath' - finish off with fine wet and dry to restore surface sheen...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They feel like aluminium but I was surprised that was a material that would be used for flame. Just the one that has something burnt on it.

Reply to
AnthonyL

The usual method is to use XRF to identify the metal/alloy.....

Reply to
SH

I'd not expect it to be ally, more like stainless steel or chromed ferrous metal, try a magnet on them to see if its an alloy or not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

AnthonyL explained :

The burner will not get that hot, there is a continuous flow of gas and air mix passing through it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Can't find a decent spectrometer on ebay :(

Reply to
AnthonyL

Several Niton XL2s, but none under £10k. I've used much earlier versions, IIRC they were about £5k in the 1970s.

Reply to
newshound

you have to look for x-ray fluorescence spectrometer and the three main suppliers of this equipment are

Fischer scientific Niton Uk Oxford Instruments

They are not the sort of thing you will find on Ebay.

Alternatively you could buy a SEM with an EDS or WDS spectrometer attached but that means destructively cutting your object to give you a small sample to put into the vacuum chamber.

HTH,

Stephen

Reply to
SH

Well, not for cheap anyway

Cody uses one in his mine, and Ben demonstrates one here

Andy Burns