Woke electric vehicles BREAK records ! !

"Americans bought a record 295,255 battery-electric vehicles during the period, according to Cox Automotive's second-quarter electric-vehicle summary. That marks a roughly 14% increase from the 2023 first quarter. Year over year, U.S. EV sales jumped about 50% from 196,788 units in the 2022 second quarter."

U.S. EV Sales Hit a Record and Tesla's Market Share Slips Barron's Magazine - Jul 14, 2023

--

bruce bowser

EVs have half the range, much longer refueling times and cost much more.

Reply to
Skid Marks

That is not a problem for many buyers. Range is about 200-250 miles but the typical commute to work is about 10 miles. Every few days you plug into the home charger.

Toyota is touting 600 mile range and fast charging. Give it a few years. If I had need for two cars, one would be an EV.

Reply to
Ed P

That's all well and good if you have the ampacity to support a home charger. I might get by with an e-bike. Even better, since this area's wiring goes back to the Rural Electrification Act of the '30s a Tesla in every garage would require significant upgrades to the entire distribution system.

Reply to
rbowman

Nope. Something like 99% of houses built since 1960 would be able to easily handle a "Level I" charger (it pulls about as much current as a toaster oven). And 70% since 1960, and 99% since 1980, could handle a Level II (pulls about as much as an electric clothes dryer - and it would be trivial to have a "this or that" switch if your house wiring was marginal and you wanted to run the dryed).

No one sane or in normal income profiles installs a Tesla or similar "supercharger" in their garage.

For those playing at home: A "Level I" gives you about 4 miles of range per hour of charge. A "Level II" does about 20.

(that's REAL WORLD experience with my car. Other vehicles depending on mass and efficiency will vary a bit).

A "supercharger" can do 100 to 400 miles/hr of chargingdepending on this, that, and the other thing. Useful if you're making a long distance trip.

Reply to
danny burstein

A level 1 charger can be installed on a 120 V, 20 A circuit. You'd have to be pretty strapped not to be able to add that.

Funny you should mention that. DTE is running additional supply on my street even as we speak.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Can you run a toaster? If so, you can charge an EV, albeit a bit longer. A level 2 requires a 40A breaker. That would be most any house since about 1970.

Reply to
Ed P

Saw this since my post this morning . Game changer, IMO, no more excuses

A higher-performance version is still under research and development but has the potential to deliver 50% more cruising range — over 900 miles, according to Toyota. That could get you from New York to Chicago and then some, and charge time would be just 10 minutes.

Reply to
Ed P

And those houses built prior to 1960? I probably could do Level I.

Going into town typically covers 32 miles, to pick a convenient figure, or

8 hours of charging. I went to the races Saturday, 120 miles RT, so that would be 30 hours. Again, that isn't out of the ordinary since the 'next' town around here is from 60 to 120 miles away.

Moot point. My Yaris gets in the high 30s and has about 20k miles so I have no incentive to buy a new vehicle. If I went crazy the new Prius Prime looks decent and also is able to get out of its own way. I've no idea why it has a plug-in option.

Reply to
rbowman

Depends on current prices. When gas was $5, the plug in was a real money saver. Plus you get bragging rights for no gas use.

Reply to
Ed P

My house was built prior to 1960. We're not scraping by on 60 A, though. We upgraded from 100 A to 200 A about 20 years ago. Someone must have done the 100 A upgrade; we had circuit breakers rather than fuses when to moved in.

Only the most extreme proponents say that EVs are suitable for everyone.

I'd be an ideal EV owner. My car sits in the garage for days on end; once a week I drive about 100 miles RT to visit my mother.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Real world experience here:

Forty miles/gallon on gasoline. So $4/gallon -> $0.10 (10 cents/mile)

Four miles/kw-hr of charge. At $0.20/kw-hr, that's $0.05 (5 cents/mile).

While the nummbers will change for other veh's, the ratio should be roughly the same.

Note in most of the country electricity is less than that...

Left as exercise to the student whether the additional cost of a PHEV versus standard hybrid is worth the difference.

Reply to
danny burstein

For 44 miles, according to the reviews, with an 11 hour recharge at Level I. Theoretically I could use it as an electric commuter and go to gas for out of town. With a $35K price tag I'd need life extension therapy to see the payback.

Reply to
rbowman

Some commentary from a woman who rented one for a week. One of her complaints is driving one isn't intuitive. One can't just grab a knob or handle to change things. She used it for a week.

Dean Hoffman

I have always been opposed to one size fits all. Unfortunately many are voting for those that will implement it.

Retired we drive very little. Price of gas means little to me so an EV might be suitable if it cost less which is currently not the case.

Climate may be changing but it is not a crisis and we should not be crucified on the green cross.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You're right. A more common problem is mine. My house is 120 feet from where I park. With a sidewalk used by other people in between.

My brother's aunt lives on the 35th floor of the John Hancock building in Chicago. She's going to buy a 350 foot extension cord so she can charge her car. Okay, they have a parking garage, but a lot of people live on the 2nd or 3rd floor and park on the street or in the lot.

Reply to
micky

I was thinking of visiting my brother in Florida, and he already has a full-house for his temporary 2BR apartment, so I was going to have to stay in a motel and rent a car.

I wanted to try an EV, but I'm ticked at Musk for 3, 4, maybe 6 reasons.

Hertz had two other EVs besides his, Volts or Amperes, I forget which. But it's too hot in floriday right now, so we'll see after it cools off.

The EVs cost little more than the real cars.

Reply to
micky

Right now, that is a problem for anyone in a city with no garages or close parking. You will have to charge at a public station, just as you do now for gas.

I'd wait a few more years when longer range and faster charging is the norm. Then it won't be a big deal at all.

Reply to
Ed P
[snip]

That's the one where all the windows keep breaking, so she can slip it out the empty frame, right?

Oh wait. That was the Hancock building in Bahstahn....

Never mind.

Reply to
danny burstein

I'd not use an EV for that. A couple of times a year I go a bit further than that, 1130 miles. Takes about 16-17 hours driving time. First day I do at least 800 miles and stop for the night. That is two gas stops. It would be right now, at least four, maybe five charging stops or 45 minutes or so.

I stop at a cheap place for the night, like a Motel 6 and none have chargers I could use.

Last June I did a 3440 mile trip. Would have taken about 18 stops to charge. Took me through 14 states.

Next generation will be much better.

Reply to
Ed P