Medical records access?

I have full access to my surgeries Patient Record for some years now and very useful it is too.

I know I can ask for individual records from hospital, I have had copies provided of MRI scans before, but can I gain access to my more general hospital Patient Record please?

If I can, how would I go about gaining access?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Pretty much - ask. Some have all sorts of complicating rules and requirements but the fundamental is that you ask the organisation properly and see what they do. No special form should be required but they can be awkward - especially when it comes to proof of your identify.

The Information Commissioner's Office has some guidance:

polygonum_on_google

Robin

I have now emailed the hospital trust, to see if I can gain ongoing online access to my patient records with the trust. I'll update when they respond.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Its complicated. According to the nhs app after you have completed loads of security checks you can view them on this app, The small print says something along he lines of , where the trust uses compatible data transfer systems and the records exist in an electronic form. In other words, another chocolate teapot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Friday :

I tried one general enquiry email address for the trust, which bounced, tried changing .uk to .net, which I know they used and that also bounced, I have now ended up filling in a general online web page enquiry form (which I hate doing), see what result that produces.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Are you joking ?. You need to be an authorised user of the NHS intranet to do that.

After some compo ?

Reply to
Andrew

You may find that many recent and historic records are on paper.

Reply to
alan_m

According today's newspaper articles the Police have instant access to your medial records so what is the problem with someone having the same access to their own records?

Reply to
alan_m

Is your access via the EMIS Patient Access system? If so, have you looked at the "Documents" section. Mine contains quite a lot of detail about hospital referrals and test results, etc.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Some bits of the NHS have been providing patients full access to at least some hospital records for years.

I know one area is kidney patients, in one area, who are positively encouraged to involve themselves and check everything.

One issue - the patients have to sign up that they understand they might get bad news directly - not through some doctor gently letting them know.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

How many other bodies besides? Your local/district council? The social security lot (whatever they're called these days) - where does it all end? You'd better be careful, you lot. Next thing you know, the entire UK's health records will be posted online for everyone to see. Or else circulated on a set of DVDs for the fraudsters in Nigeria to f*ck you over with. Medical records were once sacrosanct between patient and his/her family doctor. No longer. You have no real privacy any more as you become more and more commodified. Does no one notice all these valuable freedoms and protections slipping away year after year?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Lucky you. Nothing in my patientaccess.com documents section.

Reply to
Michael Chare

One of the problems was precisely that. No-one, patients themselves, relatives, other medics, could reliably obtain access - however justified.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

One of the promises was that any data given to a third party would be anonymised. For instance those doing medical research don't necessary need your name or address.

It seems that this may longer be the case and the Police may be able to obtain an individuals records, and without a court order.

One reporter on Radio4 the other day took this one step forward.

Apparently less than 20% of people with Covid symptoms go for a test and then self isolate. Many of these people who don't have the test are low paid and/or in the gig economy and/or self employed and continue to work with many in the kind of job that involves mixing with people.

The radio report stated that if the Police had access to the medical records then they could enforce self isolation better. The reporter didn't seem to realise what was being said was complete bollox. Anyone failing to go for a test would have zero information about this in their medical records. Track and trace cannot even keep adequate records to trace contacts nor give people with positive results a reference in order for them to claim a money grant to help with self isolation. Even those with a positive test would be unlikely to have it in their medical records.

Reply to
alan_m

You lucky, luck bastard!!!

I used to be on EMIS and it was pretty damn good at showing your records and test results, and showing historical data as well.

I am now having to use System Online which makes a chocolate teapot seem a superbly well thought out design.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It's actually called systmonline, they can't even spell.

Reply to
Chris Green

If the police have access to your records, then so naturally, do the Freemasons. So whereas before any Freemason anywhere could ask a colleague in the police to get your rap sheet, said Mason can now get all your confidential medical records, too. So that amiable chap you chat to in the pub or the club, plus any of his pals, can read up all about your medical history behind your back. Got anything there you'd rather keep confidential? Tough luck. Take another look around that pub or club you frequent and know you can no longer be certain the fact you 'can't get it up' or whatever is something only you and your doctor know about.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Just a little vowel trouble?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Absolutely not. I just wish to be more in touch with my health.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.