Wickes: Delivery where no easy access to premises

I need to get a delivery of lots of timber and more significantly a one-tonne bag of gravel.

My house is in a conservation area and there is a fifty-foot garden path which leads directly onto the pavement (double yellow at the kerb).

There is a six-foot privet hedge between my garden and the pavement.

In your experience, is it possible that they could they lift a gravel bag over a six-foot hedge? I really don't want the expense and hassle of four trillion separate bags of the stuff.

(I have been in to ask, but they have asked me to provide photographs that they will forward to the delivery contractors, and I would like an opinion from you learned folks before I do that.)

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

that would be no problem at all for the hiab crane operator.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes, piece of cake.

Reply to
Grunff

I would guess so, the lorry is 4 foot off the ground, and the crane arm some way above that.

A pallet of bags is a similar (+25%) price per tonne, and a good deal easier to shift once delivered.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

No problem.

When you talk to the builder's merchant, mention it, and they will deliver on a truck with a HIAB crane (most have these anyway).

This is a hydraulically operated telescopic crane mounted on the truck. The driver can lift and position considerable weights at up to about a truck length away. There are stabiliser feet that telescope and drop from the sides of the truck to prevent it tipping sideways.

You might find it easier to go to a merchants like Jewsons who have their own delivery vehicles.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Fine - except most Wickes deliveries come on lorries without a crane. Go to a proper builder's merchant and they'll sort you out provided you explain what you need.

Reply to
G&M

I can't see a jumbo bag of gravel coming without a crane though.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Depends were you live, as wickes use a contractor for deliveries, You would really be better going to a *Proper* builder's merchant, as they do this type of thing every day. Probably be cheaper too.

Reply to
Mark

I've got an image of a jumbo bag of gravel marching up the drive on the heads of several dozen burly dwarves.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

... lustily singing "Heigh ho! Heigh ho! "Only another 64 bags to go!"

Reply to
Andrew L.

Does where we live I'm afraid. Both stores have notices saying the bags will be pushed off the lorry and hence land on their sides. Went elsewhere !

Reply to
G&M

I've had Jumbos from Wickes, and they were craned off the lorry. Depends on location it seems. If they can't get a delivery service with a crane then they shouldn't be selling them...

Reply to
Coherers

Have you ever tried pushing one of those bags? It's impossible.

I've had deliveries from Wickes and all have been with cranes. Tried local merchants but they were almost twice the price.

Reply to
StealthUK

significantly

Roughly what I told them. In Macclesfield the "free local delivery service" covers about 3 sq yards so I went elsewhere anyway.

Reply to
G&M

significantly a

Apparently they do so. Load it onto a level arrangement.

Depends on the merchant. Try haggling and you can usually price match.

Reply to
G&M

In article , G&M writes

When I ordered bricks and blocks from Wickes they came on a massive lorry with a crane. The driver positioned them very accurately exactly where I wanted them.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse