Specs for Attic Access in Garage Lid/Firewall?

I'm looking for some specs in putting in an attic access hole in my garage ceiling. The garage ceiling is a firewall and is going to be double sheetrocked.

Do I just double rock the Sides and Lid if the Access door?? That would seem to easy to please for the Inspectors.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Joseph Meehan

Most inspectors will not accept home made doors in listed fire resistive assemblies. Fire resistive doors, windows, and hatches are subjected to very specific testing and manufacturing supervision to insure they will perform to a known standard. They must be self closing which is a problematic thing in an attic access door. Your best solution may be to access the attic from another part of the house. Alternatively you could have the fire rated wall continued straight up to the underside of the roof deck and install a fire door in the wall between the then divided attic. Check with your local building code enforcement authority and get the answer in writing.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Are you needing access only to the garage attic or to the whole house?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Mulvey

Here's a spec - minimum size is 21" x 30"

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Thank you all for your replies.

I was afraid of the having to purchase a specific type of access door. Any leads to info that I can look up online?

Before I asked I waned to see what ya all said about it incase I plan on dealing with the Access Later. Oh did I say that?

We thought about doing the joining wall all the way up to the roof deck, though there are quite a bit of penetrations to the Wall, The Electrical Sub Panel is in the Garage, so all the Electrical Wire, The Sprinkler Feed Lines (2), and Vent Pipe and not to mention the support 2x4s.

We could access the garage attic from the main house, Its a Tight fit and quite a bit away. We wanted to be able to store a box or two up there for Christmas and Easter. and the 2 electrical panels could be accessed from above in there incase we forgot something.

I'll see what k>> I'm looking for some specs in putting in an attic access hole in my

Reply to
Scott Townsend

I think you want one of these:

There's a pull-down menu for different sizes.. the 22x36" one runs about $200.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
Scott Townsend