Attic Scuttle

Can I add a second attic access scuttle in my garage ceiling? Present scuttle is in the MBR closet for mechanical access.

1758 sq ft, single story home.

Attic with plumbing for NG furnace, electrical, etc.

Two ridge vents, plus soffit vents.

Split garages, single and double - attached.

I would like to add an attic scuttle in the two car garage. This garage has the breaker panel, gas water heater, softener, tools, etc....

Thanks.

The County Web site gets me this far*

  • R807.1 Attic Access Section R807.1 is amended to read:

R807.1 Attic Access. In buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction which have electrical, plumbing or mechanical fixtures or equipment installed within the attic space, an attic access opening shall be provided to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet (2.8 m2) and have a vertical height of 30 inches (762 mm) or greater The rough- framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30 inches (559 mm by 762 mm) and shall be located in a hallway or other readily accessible location. A 30-inch (762 mm) minimum unobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be provided at some point above the access opening. See Uniform Mechanical Code for access requirements where mechanical equipment is located in attics.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Should read gable vents, oops.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Yes. You can have as many as you want. The code requires access and sets the minimum number that you must have and for what. There is no code against having more.

Reply to
Robert Allison

International Residential Code 2006 (2003 version has similar language) says: R309.2: The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2 inch gypsum board applied to the garage side. R309.1.1 duct penetrations. Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of a minimum 26 gage sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings into the garage. R309.1.2 Other Penetrations. Penetrations through the separation required in 309.2 shall be protected by filling the openings around the penetrating item with approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion.

I think the intent is to separate the garage from the residence. Therefore, if you put a hatch in the ceiling of the garage, a partition continuous from slab to roof has to be placed between garage and dwelling and any penetrations need to be treated in accordance with the code. T

Oren wrote:

Reply to
tbasc

Not exactly. A scuttle hole in the garage will not require a fire rated wall between the garage and the house. Use a piece of drywall for the scuttle hole cover and you are fine. I have never had a problem even with pull down stairs (which are not fire rated). The attic access is usually in the garage, and is usually a pull down stair. Provides access to the entire attic. This is true for all of central Texas.

YMMV.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I was in my attic recently troubleshooting the furnace, before I called the service guy and had it fixed. (found original furnace documents in plastic sleeve :))

Looked towards the garage area; where I want the next scuttle, I observed two things:

- there was what I considered a fire block extending from the ceiling top plate to the roof. Not certain of full extent and how it was/is built.

- through this apparent fire block, there was a hole large enough for any person. In fact an electrician had mentioned this to me a few years ago.

That hole through the ply (3/4"?) would seem it would allow fire into the rest of the attic. It *appears* to be centered over the hallway and not a bedroom.

I will put in the scuttle in. My garage is finished with 5/8" sheetrock on both ceiling and walls. Off to misplace the honey doo list...

Thanks!!

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

If the "firewall" is plywood, then it is not a fire wall. Sounds more like a shear wall or shear truss. Although a fire wall may have plywood on it, it must be a non combustible material (drywall) on the surface to qualify as a firewall. According to code, a fire wall must be two layers of 5/8" drywall, firetaped and firecaulked. A draft stop must be one layer of drywall, firetaped and caulked.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Thanks.

Given my observations: it is not really a fire wall. I will look further when I cut the second scuttle in the garage.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Sounds VERY much like my attic. Garage was an add-on, and the divider between the attics was just original house gable skinned in celotex, not a firewall. Guys that blew in 6 more inches of insulation decided to do it all from the garage scuttle, and ripped down one panel. Garage does have a (badly done) ceiling and walls of 5/8 fire-rated rock, but they didn't block the old basement windows on that end, or some other penetrations, so it isn't (yet) a code-compliant fire break. I keep a chunk of plywood over the scuttle hole- I'll make a proper lid one of these days, around the same time I make a fire-rated bottom lid for the bumpouts that extend into the garage space. (I'm thinking do it like a drawer- ply and rock riding in L-shaped rails, so it can easily be opened to get to the plumbing trapped in there.)

Have I mentioned on here before that my addition was done 'good old boy' style, apparently without plans, and every time I open something up, I find something else Stupid previous owner did? I mean, the studs are every 16", and everything is pretty square, but the design is sadly lacking- that bathroom bumpout was obviously a last second addition, and robs 2 feet of parking space, etc.

Good thing code in this township is mainly theoretical.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers