Woke electric vehicles BREAK records ! !

[snip]

More and more are putting in "Level II" as we speak. So an overnight charge will get you 200 to 400 miles (depending on car design).

Reply to
danny burstein

Yes, did they ever stop that from happening? I wanted to go watch but I think I missed my opportunity.

Reply to
micky

No, I was going to fly and rent the car when I got there. When I did drive to floriday, it took 4 days in each direction, but I saw a lot of stuff, including Richmond things and Ft. Sumpter.

Good point. There were no cheap places near Tamarac, but the more than cheap places are like cheap places an dprobably don't have chargers. Another thing to consider.

Plus of course it has to be a convertible, under 9000 dollars, with a dashboard video screen. Plus it can't have black upholstery and it really should be a light color with a light colored top. (I could repaint the car and replace the top, but it's very hard for me to do either of those if they're in good condition.) I'm not going to get everything I want. ;-(

Reply to
micky

A neighbor has a Volvo convertible, for 5 or 10 years now. For years he kept in covered when not using it, but he stopped a few years ago. Dark blue with ... not sure about upholstery,etc.

I was going to ask him how he liked the car and ask him to tell me if he wants to sell it, but I drove by and saw that there are little plants growing under the the bumper and a little bit around one side. He must not be driving it at all. Which means if I ask him, he may say, Yeah, buy it now. I'm not ready for that, unless I have two cars. So I'm afraid to ask but I've got to in case he sells it to someone else.

Reply to
micky

When I filled up Saturday the car took a little over 7 gallons. I *think* the price per gallon was $3.80 something and I *think* the total was $20 something. In other words I wasn't paying attention.

Admittedly since the car gets in the high 30s if I keep it under 80 I don't have the pump shock of a land yacht. However I drive a Toyota Yaris subcompact. I knew the Yaris was history when I bought this one but I didn't realize the Honda Fit was also gone. America loves its SUVs.

Reply to
rbowman

That would work for me if I were fiddling around doing roadside attractions. I'm planning to go down to AZ in October and it's about 1300 miles to Ajo. I've made the run often enough an extra day or two isn't appealing.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, the John Hancock in Chicago doesn't have the shedding problem. My wife and I had dinner at the restaurant on the 95th floor and the slight swaying motion had nothing to do with the champagne we were drinking.

Sign of the times: that was in '71 and a $100 bill covered the meal, wine, and a very generous tip. Now $100 wouldn't cut it at the bistro in the basement of the local theater.

Reply to
rbowman

The "plywood palace". It was the big deal when I was in college there. There was also the story about freezer tubes around the foundation to freeze and stabilize the building.

Reply to
Bob F

Median income in 1971: $10,290 Median income in 2023: $56,940

Go ahead and splurge on that $569 meal.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Most people would fly that distance.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Better do it quick. It's an election year and the Nazicrats are starting the 2024 Scamdemic.

While you don't need an ID to vote, make sure to have your modRNA quackcine travel passport up to date:

Ben Verified - ✅

Saw this one yesterday:

In part, discusses hoopes you must jump through on the road.

I think in general, when traveling, charging stations cost about three times what you will pay at home plus highway mileage is lower as electric engines less efficient at highway speeds.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"electric engines less efficient at highwy speeds".

Really?

The *car*, yes. The electric *motors*? I'd like to see some verification

Reply to
danny burstein

Efficiency better stated as:

"For EVs, the motor efficiency is less speed-dependent. Since the drag force increases in proportion to the square of the speed, an electric car vehicle becomes exponentially less efficient at high speeds."

So this generally means you will not get the mileage as stated for long highway trips.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Right. Nobody is advocating "one size fits all".

Petroleum based fuels are a fundamentally limited resource, and a very significant fraction has already been permanently consumed. It cannot be replaced on any human timescale. As supplies diminish, prices will necessarily increase, at a much higher rate than inflation (which will also contribute to inflation).

Only an idiot believes that there is an infinite supply.

Replacing it as an energy source _before_ it becomes scarce is required. "Energy Trap".

It is indeed a crisis, and nobody is advocating crucifixtion.

Idiot.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The by far largest component of the lack of range in highway driving is the fact that there is very little regenerative braking - that's the biggest reason that city driving range is longer than highway range.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal
[snip]

It's getting harder and harder to tell satire adnd sarcasm from stupidity

Reply to
danny burstein

Nah, can't do it. When the selections at the food trucks at the events passed $10 my wallet clamped shut. I did manage to pry it open for a $4.50 single scoop ice cream cone a couple of weeks ago.

I've become desensitized about gasoline, groceries, shoes, clothing and building supplies but prepared food still leaves me with sticker shock. I never did eat out too much so I might not have went through the frog in a saucepan of water on the stove effect.

It's strictly mental and has nothing to do with my ability to afford it.

As far as 1971, although the term hadn't been invented yet we were pretty much yuppies. I stopped being upwardly-mobile around '88. No regrets since the 'urban' part started to suck.

Reply to
rbowman

No, think about it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Like hell they are not. Dems in CA, NJ and DE want to mandate no EC cars can be sold in their states after 2035. Also means you cannot buy one in another state and bring it in.

Reply to
invalid unparseable