Woke electric vehicles BREAK records ! !

I gave up flying for Lent. While I have fond memories of the 747 upper deck lounges the whole experience became increasingly unpleasant over the years.

Reply to
rbowman

I think my friend took about two months to bicycle across the USA.

Also recall a guy telling me a trip to the Jersey shore, maybe 60 miles each way, usually resulted in having to fix two flat tires.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I did, and I even did the research before posting. Something you seem to never bother with.

Scott Lurndal

No argument here. I haven't been on a plane since 1997.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Actually, the mandate applies to _new_ vehicles. There will always be a supply of used cars thereafter, so long as the oil supply doesn't dry up first.

Face it, you're a horse and buggy antique.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

A mandate is a mandate no matter what you call it.

I predict USA will look like Cuba with all the old vehicles running around.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

What are the automakers doing, voluntarily?

Now, maybe this was just a publicity stunt. But maybe it wasn't.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Wait, can we not be so quick to rule out crucifixion? ;-)

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Couple of times a year I head north 1130 miles. Each way is about 17 hours driving and an overnight stop. I burn 85 gallons of gas round trip.

Flying is about 2.5 hours air time. Of course, you have to be there an hour before and about an hour to the airport. Pay $17 a day to park about 10 days or get a ride. On the other end, someone either drives

1.5 hours to get me or I rent a car and drive it. Sometimes I add another 250 miles and spend another few days. Last June I did 3440 miles over three weeks of visiting.

I'd rather drive and have more options with time and local stops.

Reply to
Ed P

That's a sloppy statement. The power requirement is proportional to the velocity cubed, so the electric motor will be required to put out more power. Whether operating at a higher power level is more or less efficient as concerning the electric motor is an open question. It may be more efficient than at lower power when copper and other loses are considered.

No free lunch so operating at a higher power for long periods will drain the battery faster resulting in fewer miles traveled. Perhaps less efficient in terms of miles /VA.

Reply to
rbowman

The rich men north of Richmond?

Reply to
rbowman

No, and it is almost like you are implying that if an EV on the highway would brake on and off it would retain the mileage of city driving. It makes sense that EV mileage is lost on highway due to higher air resistant at higher speed. No matter what, highway mileage for EV's is lower.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Unfortunately when government controls the businesses and is the source of funding businesses kowtow to them.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

2006 for me. I had a command performance at the PA State police HQ in Harrisburg. Getting there involved Detroit, an airport I never want to see again.

What really pissed me off is the vendors were required to attend a half day seminar which was mostly a PowerPoint presentation. The DVD they handed out had all the pertinent information. At least it was nice spring weather and I got to do some geocaching.

Hopefully one lesson learned from the covid fiasco is with Zoom, Teams, and the like there is no reason to drag people across the country for a presentation and Q&A session.

Reply to
rbowman

Yup. While it has gotten better if you didn't want a tour of every airport in the country you used to have to drive to Spokane, 200 miles one way, to get anything resembling a direct flight at a reasonable price.

Reply to
rbowman

Places like CA will smog test them to death. My brother had a Tercel that he liked but when it failed the emissions test it would have cost more to fix than the car was worth. He donated it to one of those organizations that send the cars to third world countries. It may still be happily polluting Guatemala.

At least one of my bikes is a '49 state' version. It doesn't have the requisite plumbing to be legal in CA.

Reply to
rbowman

Maybe the United States climate preacher, John Kerry, should be told about those fancy new gizmos. He could just order in instead of flying halfway around the world for his grub.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Meetings work better in person. You can get the other guy drunk and tape record him saying contradictory things.

Or you can send a callgirl to his room and photograph it.

You can't usually do this with zoom.

Reply to
micky

Don't they have some sort of transmission, or gear changing?

Reply to
micky

Couldn't they solve this problem just by slowing down or better yet braking every couple minutes. It could be automatic with a timer.

Sure the passengers would keep lurching forward and back but it's small i convenience.

Reply to
micky