Electric Vehicles, Home Chargers

About 1/5 of the Californians who bought EVs got rid of them in favor of gas burners. The issue was charging time. House wiring would have to be upgraded to make EVs worthwhile for some people.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Nothing wrong with them but liberal thinking is one size fits all.

What about apartment and townhouse dwellers with limited access to charging? I suspect that all of these Californians did not fit into this criterion and otherwise number would be much larger.

Then there are the stories of them catching fire and warnings not to charge some in the garage.

No thanks.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Happily, I have a spare 220 line that I can use. But I'm not about to get rid of my usable ICE vehicle just so I can have an electric. That's plain nuts.

OTOH, I might have only one car purchase left, after my 2004 Toyota Highlander bites the dust. (Or, more likely, after my husband's 2008 FJ Cruiser dies.) It's not as if we buy a car very frequently.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Mostly people that had not idea of what is needed. Yes, you need a charger and the wiring to support it.

It will get better but there is a lot of work to be done. I'd only consider an EV for a second car, used pretty much locally.

It will be at least 10 years to be practical for most.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And the research cited above is based on questionnaire surveys, which aren't particularly rigorous, so take it with a grain of salt. A large percentage of my coworkers have electric vehicles (Teslas and Leafs for the most part) and none of them have traded for a gas vehicle (and for that matter, most families with electric cars also have an suv/van for family trips and carrying capcity).

Scott Lurndal

And isn't it equally "one size fits all" thinking to lump all liberals into a single, stereotyped category? Come on man!

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Don't worry about it. Frank can't say 2 sentences - about anything - unless he drops a lib comment.

It's a disease. We should have pity on him but I don't want to put in the effort.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 13:25:10 -0400, Retirednoguilt posted for all of us to digest...

And isn't it equally "one size fits all" thinking to lump all conservatives into a single, stereotyped category? Come on man!

Reply to
Tekkie©

Certainly not all the individuals, but true as a group.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I also buy new and run until repair cost exceeds book value. Unfortunately in the last 20 years we had one car stolen and stripped and two wrecked. In CA you could be forced to buy electric in coming years. It was pointed out that CA today has lots of charging stations and even then 20% would not buy again.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Oddly it is mostly 'right wing' sites that report on Proterra buses. One in LA foothills service caught fire but reportedly it was a problem other than charging.

One wonders how much federal money was poured into that project. The local bus company has purchased several electric buses. I'll have to sneak up on one and see who made it. Sneaking really won't be required since the rides are free. I don't have a particular place to go but I've thought about climbing aboard one and seeing where it takes me. The last bus I was on I was driving it.

Reply to
rbowman

Toyotas don't bit the dust on their own accord. It took an idiot kid driving a pickup with a plow blade to kill my first one. Toyota -- terrorist tested!

Reply to
rbowman

I haven't been on a municipal bus since I got out of school (1964). I have been on a couple of chartered tour buses. (A Genesis concert in Miami and a Colonial Williamsburg tour) It is not my favorite way to travel. Both were adventures in their own right tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

For a couple of years I was carless in Ann Arbor and rode the bus to work. On various vacations (Toronto, San Francisco) we rode the bus.

In the mid-1970s I used to take the Greyhound to Detroit and the municipal bus up to Royal Oak, where I'd be picked up by my grandfather.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...