gas and electric usage

i know this is all a bit in th air as you dont know the size of my house, but I'm trying to establish the estimated usage of units for gas and electric in my house. its a semi-detaqched 3 bed. Gas is for CH and Hob. Electric for shower and oven. 5 people live in the house.

Scottish power are telling me my gas meter (that has only 4 digits) trips over at least once a year, making my annual usage 15000. (I'd looked at my past readings and got 500 units) Electric 6,700 units.

Is the reported gas usage about average? cos it a shock to me !

TIA

Reply to
Vass

Is this cubic feet or cubic metres? Some meters say one, and some the other...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:16:07 +0100 someone who may be "Vass" wrote this:-

15,000 what precisely? As has been said the meter may read cubic metres or cubic feet, this may also have been converted into kilowatt hours.
Reply to
David Hansen

How about reading it once a week - then you'd know whether or not it ticks over. The best way of getting an accurate bill, is to enter the reading onto their website every couple of months. I would guess the average usage is about 400 -

500 for gas and 500 - 700 for electricity, but YMMV of course. A Bob says, one of the most common causes for very excessive bills, is having a M3 meter fitted and them charging you as if it's a 100cuFT meter.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

When I wrote usage, I meant in money terms of course.

Reply to
Andy Cap

ah good point. sorry, will go check tonight. The gas meter was changed due to it leaking about 4 years ago, dunno if its units of measure changed at that time.

Reply to
Vass

And if they're still billing you in the old units...

Reply to
Bob Eager

the former. Gas meter says Ft

Reply to