Weld Stainless

Hi

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

cheers, NT

Reply to
NT

Yes, Distortion can be a problem in precision applications but for your fork this should not be a concern.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Usually with TIG. A decent local car exhaust place might be able to help - mine did when a heatshield broke off my SS system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right, cheers. A farm arc welder would be no good?

NT

Reply to
NT

Just go for it - it's not hard, so long as you're not too fussy about the end results

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well, they sell stainless rods for basic arc welders, so someone thinks it's OK.

I welded onto some BBQ grids with a normal rod; it was fine structurally although the SS near the weld has lost its stainless properties.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I welded some into a mini once, not realising it was stainless ( I was young and stupid[er] ). The welding was no problem. Then I had to drill holes for door hinges... :o(

Reply to
Bob Mannix